News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Maritime Museum - Belem / Lisboa (Portugal)

As requested by some members, here is the first thread dedicated to my summer trip in Spain and Portugal.

I will begin with pics of Portugal military related sites.

One "must see" site is the Maritime Museum (Museu de Marinha) in Belem.

Belem, very close to Portugal's capital Lisboa (Lisbon) has a particular place in Portugal's history. Belem is the place from where, on 8 July 1497, Vasco de Gama, the great explorer, has begun his trip that made him discover the Indies Route (La Route des Indes).

Before they leave, the night before, Vasco de Gama and his troops have been in deep meditation in a chapel built by Henri the Navigator.

This chapel is now the basis of the Maritime Museum, which gives a tribute to explorers of the Portugal.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

• Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To give an idea of the area and location, here is the Belem Tower (Torre de Belem).

This tower is emblematic of the Discoveries, and a worldwide known monument. In 1515, when it was built, it stood in the middle of the water. It was both a lighthouse and a surveillance tower.

Ch.

Close to the Tower is an old fort, with a Museum dedicated to Portuguese Overseas Troops.

Here is the monument in memory of the Overseas Fighters. The names of them are on the wall in the background.

Ch.

Thanks for these, Christophe. Another stop for the travel agenda! :love:

My summer trip (4 weeks in total) split between Spain and Portugal, was really fascinating. I had the opportunity to visit Bilbao, Guernica, Valladolid, Salamanca (Spain), Lisboa, Algarve, Sagres (Portugal), Sevilla, Cordoba, Madrid and Barcelona (Spain again). :jumping::jumping::jumping:

I have still plenty of wonders in my eyes.

Ch.