News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finnish Awards To Germans In WW1

• Replies 123
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that possible? I always thought that the CoLs were only given to officers?

Generally, yes. But seems like it was case sensitive. I know many Finnish senior NCOs who got CoL4 in 1918, so why not Germans too. From WW2 I know examples where corporals (!) got CoL4 with oakleaf, but I quess that was as far as it went with other ranks.

A neat bar by the way, Stefan!

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

I have just read this interesting thread, and spotted a medal bar at a local internet auction that would fit in it.

I'm not considering buying it since it's not my field (and I don't need more slippery slopes... :P ), but I was just curious what the experts comments are.

(Sorry, the picture below is the only one I have)

/Mike

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Wow! VERY nice! Two of MY favorite things-- Turkish and Finnish on one bar!!!

That's an original issue Turkish "recycled tuna fish can" Liakat medal in "silver" still with the original sabers bar-- not often still seen on medal bars 20 years later.

It occurs to me that I have not previously scanned my ENTIRE Dr. Max Bachem group, combining Finnish AND Turkish (and both from 1918! :speechless1: ) awards:

[attachmentid=38558]

A prickly fellow from Frankfurt am Main, this was his complete group. Probably named after his kinsman the Admiral, Doctor Max was a divorc? AND a lapsed Catholic. He wandered through 14 :speechless1: different units 1914-18, moving from Finland in the summer of 1918 to the Palestine front just in time for October's collapse. He was for many years an apparently contented member of the local BdAK group.

Guest Rick Research

In the immortal words of the shocked sushi bar patron whose order came back wrong:

O tempura! O morays! :speechless1:

I share here for the FIRST time What Colonel Dodkins DID :speechless1:

[attachmentid=38561]

While Engelland swung like a pendulum, did...

the Highly Initialed Collecting Person was slapping GLUED DOWN labels allllllllll over the reverse side.

Famous? Yes. Renowned? Sure. Smart? NO!!! :speechless::banger:

What Colonel Dodkins Did (sounds like an Agatha Christie title. :rolleyes: If anybody has his obit, I'd be obliged for my files!) lives on, 42 years later and 15 years 2 months and 2 days after this passed through our own Jeff Floyd's hands to reside in the Research Collection.

See what happens :shame: when you screw around with something???? I got 2 and a half off, but the stains remain as evidence of the collecting habits of an earlier age.

Ruined is FOREVER! :o

Sorry to intercept the thread, but just for your information:

The bar below just sold for approx. $200.

I have no idea if this is the going rate or dirt cheap?

/Mike

I bought mine above for 125 EUR, so I guess 200 USD is a good price...not knowing the price of the Turkish medal itself.

BR, Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my small contribution to this thread. Just arrived in todays mail (with many thanks to Chris Boonzaier for all his help :beer: ). A six place medal bar to a Gefreiten Anton Muller.

Front:

[attachmentid=40864]

• 2 years later...

Hallo Gents, :beer:

any ideas with regard this Finish bar, that I had in my hands today at the Collectors Fair in Timisoara?

Sorry for the slightly blurred image.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

Oh JAYZUS, Kev... you LEFT it there? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

This falls under the category of Have To Kill Anybody who squeals award numbers where lazy dealers can see them.

PM me if there is the remotest chance you'll EVER :banger: see it again with what the guy wanted for it etc and will tell you the Awful Reality of what got away.

Oh Kev! Thats great group what you HAD IN YOUR HANDS!!! Any chance to get it? If so, do it! :cheers:

Here is my small contribution on this old threat what I haven't seen before! Rick probably like the bar #1 ..... Turkish and Finnish awards together and some other pits and pieces :rolleyes: .

#4 last ribbon had been replaced with TR period EK... no idea what was in there originaly, so I better keep it, like it came.

1010908181ef0f_l.jpg

Edited by Noor