News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm helping a friend find some information on Welch wigs. Does anyone have any insight on these.

Peter

Your question is a touch vague. :(

Do you mean wigs worn by the Welch Regiment ? Wigs made from Welch hair ? :P Wigs made in Wales? Something else entirely? Lots of us would be happy to try and help if we know what exactly you're looking for. (I think I can say that safely, can't I, Rick Research and all ?)

The Welch Regiment, like the rest of the British Army, wore "queues" - hair pulled back into what today we'd call a "ponytail", with the hair powdered white with flour or talc. The Officers would have worn wigs - horse or human hair. Is that any help?

Peter

From the 10th October 1795, Regulations for the use of His Majesty's troops, upon their arrival in the West Indies

"The Board highly approves of the Troops being provided with...also a flannel cap or Welch wig"

I suspect that this could be an early form of forage or watering cap but I am not sure whether they are describing two items or alternative names for the same item

Edited by SJB

"The Board highly approves of the Troops being provided with...also a flannel cap or Welch wig"

I suspect that this could be an early form of forage or watering cap but I am not sure whether they are describing two items or alternative names for the same item

You'll find it easier to search looking for the more common spelling of "Welsh wig" - one page explains that "By the eighteenth century, the woollen cap worn by the ordinary sailors in the British Navy had changed to the Welsh Wig which was described as a round knitted cap which may have originally been the "Monmouth cap". It was often knitted of thruns, where the multiple broken ends were left outside the cap and may have helped to make the cap warmer and at the same time given it a hairy appearance, probably giving rise to the nick-name "Welsh wig".

Another site describes it as "a relatively unfelted hat with bits of unspun fleece knitted into the cap."

Hang your head in shame, Chris! :P

Well done, Jacaranda! "Welsh wig" was a new one on me, but I have a friend who actually makes Monmouth caps for his 19th century sailor impression. "A bit" of wool is the understatement of the year. One pulls 6"-8" strands of very thick wool through between, as far as i can tell< every other stitch on a knit cap. Think string mop on steroids! :cheeky: Think ghillie suit gone mad! :cheeky:

Presumably waterproof, but a very scary sight, especially first thing in the am after an evening in the Mess!

Peter

Thanks Jacaranda,

I looked up Welsh Wigs and found that Morris site with some good information. I note that it also stated that the cap was used by the military as well as the navy.

The stocking cap, I presume, was like a night cap ie a conical wollen cap with the top portion falling to one side of the head.

• 2 years later...

It is Ghoulish; but, if you find some pictures of the men found from the Franklin Expedition who died and were dug up in the 1980's . Definitely One(and possibly more,there were Three found) of them was buried with his Welsh Wig.That would give you a good idea of what an 1840's pattern looked like.Just a thought.

Very interesting post - I've never even heard of this type of head dress. Could someone please do an exhumation and show a picture ?

I have found a picture it is Graphic though.I can post it or if some people here are Squemish;just search Google for the name John Hartnell.However for a 150 year old Corpse,he does look very good.

WOAH! Brit soldiers actually wore these? :P

TacHel

Remember that most soldiers, most of the time, care about A)warm and B)dry. Fashionable comes a poor third after those two, hence the many many "non-reg." outfits and bits one sees in period photos and even paintings. At sea, there's nobody to notice except yr mess mates and, unless you're that way inclined, you probably don't want to look too good!

Much the same for armies, I'm sure: save 'sexy' for parades and walking out. When I'm soldierin', I want a hat that does something, not a head decoration.

My tuppence worth!

Peter

And here's a 'thrum cap or Welsh wig". A friend of mine spent all one winter making one and , yes, it really is as ugly as it looks! But, a perfect project for somebody with waaay too much time on his hands. :7)

Peter

PS image comes from this site - quite informative: http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/images/H-Thrum.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/hats.htm&usg=__w7s4zhb_yy_Sk74TeLUUcNZQkt4=&h=262&w=250&sz=20&hl=en&start=1&sig2=JTE_UljEdMvdcNd36f7PoA&tbnid=pmdN_ABuIfrLDM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthrum%2Bcap%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG&ei=eCl4Sri2MeGrmQf25YTjBg

• 3 weeks later...

The Franklin expedition, BTW, deserves its own thread. The story behind these guys is fascinating. The reason they are so well-preserved is probably because of lead remaining in their system, from the seals on their tin food.

I was fascinating by a book on the expedition when I was about 5 and this information came out. (I'm dating myself, yes, I am just that young!)

~TS