News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 354
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CONNAUGHT RANGERS.

(Not 100% sure about the authenticity of this one, I have heard the area to the sides of the harp, and the top of the harp, should be fretted out, but I was also told its original as well, any help appreciated.)

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

THE PARACHUTE REGIMENT a.k.a The Red Berets.

On the end of the chute is a box, this one appears to be divided into two sections, I have another Para-badge on the belt, this one however has a single section box on the end of the chute, anybody know why? a design variation??

THE BELT Insignia reading from left to right;

R.S. ROYAL SCOTS, Unknown Grenade emblem. CAMERON HIGHLANDERS. LINCOLNSHIRE REGIMENT,

THE KINGS ROYAL RIFLE CORPS, Red Velvet backing to denote Battalion? IRISH GUARDS Collar-Dog, MANCHESTER REGIMENT.

Kev this is my Connaught Rangers glengarry badge which is a fake.

Note the die flaws which are filled in setions that should not be there. If yours has these then I'm afraid it's a wrong un. If it's different the chances are it's good.

Jim

TYNESIDE IRISH.

Hi Kevin,

Regarding the Tyneside Irish - unlike the Tyneside Scottish, they did not have a distinctive cap badge, but wore the normal Northumberland Fusiliers cap badge. The badge you illustrated is a shoulder badge, despite the fact the it is found with a slider.

Brian

CONNAUGHT RANGERS.

(Not 100% sure about the authenticity of this one, I have heard the area to the sides of the harp, and the top of the harp, should be fretted out, but I was also told its original as well, any help appreciated.)

My Connaught Rangers badge is of similar design to yours, but with a different harp. It is also voided at both sides and top of the harp and also the harp strings at top right and lower left. The motto scroll fits closely onto the circle.

Brian

Hi Kevin,

The knot of the "Staffs" badge is the heraldic symbol of the earl of Stafford, dating back to at least 800 C.E. and known, oddly enough, as "the Stafford knot". :P Incorectedly referred to as a "Staffordshire" knot. And apparently, despite common myth, not based an a nasty sheriff who hanged 'em in threes.

(see Wikipedia: http://www.bagnallvillage.com/Pages/Stafford%20Knot.htm for details)

Also, though it's been 20 years since I 'did" badges on a regular basis, even back then the NAS armoured car badge was considered somewhat "dodgy" just based on the apparent number around for what was a very small group, and on their collectibility. Ditto any "special" force: SS, SAS, etc. I don't know enough about your two examples to have an opinion except that which I've just expressed: be suspicious and get expert advice and thereby avoid heartbreak. "Too good to be true" rarities usually are! Of course, if the collection has provenance that helps a lot too.

My tuppence and change!

Peter

as i posted previously..the wb clasp is royal marines. Per Mare Per Terram, by sea, by land...Gibraltar is one of their earliest battle honours

the red felt under KRRC badge doesn't denote the battalion, it's standard

i think there's a few funnies in there Kev ( sorry)

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

Does anybody have any Irish Militia badges in there collection, or know of anybody with any?

I am looking for pictures of two Regiments in particular, as illustrations for my book, and credit will be given to the owner of the badges.

THE NORTH MAYO MILITIA

SOUTH MAYO MILITIA*

* Later they became a the SOUTH MAYO RIFLES.

Please see under for descriptions.

CAP BADGES OF IRISH MILITIAS.

North Mayo Militia: A Salamander with a scroll below it, the scroll inscribed ?North Mayo?s?.

South Mayo Militia: A Crowned Circle inscribed ?South Mayo Rifles? The circle partially enclosed within a

shamrock wreath. Inside the circle the arms of the Marquis of Sligo whose ancestors raised the corps.

Both regiments were eventualy amalgemated in to the South Mayo, these in turn became a Militia Bn of the Connaught Rangers.

I also attach a picture of a handy little book with regards British Cap badges, though dated, there might be an even newer edition than the one pictured, I got mine a few years ago and the ISBN number is:

ISBN 1 - 85409 - 426 -2

Are the attached acans of any use, Kevin?

I understand there is/was a two-piece version of the North Mayo, but I have never seen one.

Brian

[attachmentid=42027]

Thanks to all the Gentlemen who have contributed answers, with regards all my the badges posted,

I am first and foremost a medal collector, and the few Cap-badges I have picked up, came to me very cheap so I am not so much out of pocket, Cap-badge collecting with so many re-strikes has become a minefield :mad:

With regards the Large Connaught Rangers Badge there is an mark above the "T" and under the "Quis Separabit" logo and to the right and left upper harp so its a FAKE! :(

Mr. Peter Monaghan :beer: mentions a RNAS badge but I have not posted one I think its from earlier in the post by the topic starter, but thanks anyway.

Thanks also to Brian for the images with regards the Mayo Militia badges, I will send a P.M. asap.

Here I will continue the posting of the badges with regards the belt.

THE CAMERONIANS (Scottish Rifles) REGIMENT,

THE ROYAL SCOTS,

SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS (is it my memory playing tricks or have the stags antlers been shortened?) :blush:

THE RIFLE BRIGADE,

AUSTRALIAN ARMY "RISING SUN" BADGE,

INISKILLING COLLAR-DOG OVER A "ROYAL SCOTS" SHOULDER TITLE.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

PARACHUTE REGIMENT CAP-BADGE, the box under the chute is one section, this badge has lugs to the rear.

Varition to the earlier posted??

THE CAMERONIANS (Scottish Rifles) REGIMENT, , (there are two badges the same on the belt!!)

Edited by Kev in Deva

SALLY'S ARMY BADGE, SALVATION ARMY, BLOOD & FIRE BADGE.

Two picture, one of the rear of the belt, the other showing the backing plate behind the R. S. (ROYAL SCOTS) Shoulder insignia?

THE BELT BUCKLE, due to extensive wear it reads "GIBRALTER" * * * * MARE PER TERRAM." its also been fixed with the belt inverted.

Most likely Royal Marines as the principal battle honour is Gibraltar and is worn above the globe and laurel (the laurel representing all the other battle honours world-wide) and PER MARE PER TERRAM is the Corps motto

• 4 months later...
    • 11 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I don't know when this belt was put together but as the Parachute regiment badge was not in existance until WW2 it is somewhat odd to see it on the same belt as a WW1 era Manchester badge which changed in 1920 to the Fleur de Lys badge and a Inniskilling Fusiliers badge with the flag going left which would be pre 1934. This would suggests that the collection was put together some time after 1940 and is not contempory to the date of wearing. The pre 1901 RM belt buckle would not have been worn with that sort of webbing strap and has clearly been added on later. Saying that the badges and buckle all appear to be originals unlike some of the others shown in earlier posts. the Inniskillings is particularly desireable.

Alan

Edited by alanowen