News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Ralph,

I'll do these off the top of my head.

2. The West Yorkshire Regt.

3. Don't know but will have something to do with the Prince of Wales.

4. Yes, RA. It looks like the one whereby the wheel doesn't revolve.

5. Lincolnshire Regt.

6. York & Lancs. Regt.

7. This one must have something to do with the Queens Regt. (my great Grandfather served with them on and off between 1899 and 1918, 24th London Regt.).

8. Guards Machine Gun Corps.

11. Could be the Royal scots Fusiliers.

Tony

• Replies 354
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A bit "unreconstructed" are we, Ralph?

laugh.gif

All tongue-in-cheek. I make a pretty poor Confederate, and as a "Western" North Carolinian, I probably have (would have had?) more Unionist sympathies that one might suspect.

North Carolina (and Tennessee) were the last to leave the Union...

Abercrombie's by nature dislike change and are historically apt to support the "status quo." Many were Torys in the Revolution (Gen. Sir Ralph Abercrombie, to wit) and dissenters in the War Between the States (the Confeds used to send conscription parties into western NC and eastern Tenn. on raids to round up folks like my family to force them to fight for the Lost Cause). Live and let live, and leave us alone... Few owned slaves.

That being said, there was one Thomas Abercrombie in Louisiana with 500 or more slaves, reputed to be one of those types that prompted Harriet Beecher Stowe to write what she did.

Thanks for the replies! Several more moved into the "known" column.

- John C. Calhoun

New Zealand Barfing Queequeg is THE BEST!

I agree. Love that Maori! Pretty typical pose for the aborigine, tongue out... he would be in a "fighting" stance and have one arm raised, if he were more than just a brass "head."

Very cool... very... "sexy"... :food-smiley-004:

I've got a couple more for you Ralph,

Post 48 (the two headed bird) is the 3rd Carabiniers, Prince of Wales Dragoon Guards.

Post 26 is the 19th (Queen Alexandra's Own Royal) Hussars.

Post 87 is Alexandra, Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Yeomanry-

RGA is Royal Garrison Artillery.

Tony

OK. Ralph, here are some others...

Unknown #7 is the Second Marching Regiment of Foot (Queen's Royal). This is a pre territorial glengarry badge. By 1914 they has become The Queen's (Royal West Surry Regiment).

Unknown #9 is The Worcestershire Regiment

Unknown #10 96th Foot (no nifty name) by 1914 they had become 2nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment. (also a pre territorial glengarry badge)

Unknown #12 19th Foot (1st York, North Riding) by 1914 they were Alexandra, Princess of Wales Own (Yorkshire Regiment). (another p-t glengarry)

I can confirm that #11 is The Royal Scots Fusiliers.

You are correct, the 40th Foot was known as the 2nd Somersetshire and by 1914 had become the 1st Battalion, The Prince of Wales' Volunteers. (South Lancashire Regiment).

Unknown #2 is exactly what it says it is The West Yorkshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales' Own)

The backs of these badges can tell as much if not more than the front for authentication purposes.

PS I will offer a different view of #85 than that of my distinguished and learned collegue, El Supremo Mangnifico Grande, Duke of Massachusetts and pretty good fella. I'll say it is a forage cap badge or box plate for The Dorsetshire Regiment what with the Castle and Key of Gibralter prominent. I could be frightfully wrong...

Edited by Bob Hunter

Thank you all greatly. Only four remain unidentified.

Yes. The reverses of these are instrumental in judging authenticity. When I get to the point where I want to begin weeding out the bad 'uns I'll post pictures.

Thanks again!

Edited by Ralph A

Here are a few of my badges, as they are not so common I wouldn't be surprised if some or even all of them ohmy.gif are restrikes.

3rd County of London Sharpshooters

14th Kings Hussars

I think this is just the plain old King's Colonials.

It has Victoria's crown and the Saxon crest for some reason and although I like the front, the reverse says restrike to me. I would like to be corrected though.

Tony

Thanks for the replies.

Tony, those are great, restrikes or not. Thanks for showing them. Anyone else? I'm getting hooked on these... :food-smiley-004:

Bob, the lead figures are 58-65mm. They all have this on the bottom:

I used to have hundreds of Britains back in the day now I'm down to a few super handpainted pieces.

I also collected British cap badges with a vengeance but got away from it almost 20 years ago. Over 400 badges in the collection so over time I'll post a few of what I believe to be the really rare ones as well as those in hallmarked silver.

Edited by Bob Hunter

Guest Rick Research

Tony-- per #113: that is "differenced" with a "label" of three points, which with the Saxe-Coburg crest suggests a child of Queen Victoria as honorary Colonel in Chief. I don't have British royal arms for that period, but it can't have been Prince Albert/King Edward AFTER Old Vicky died, or the label would have been gone when HE became King. Yet it is TITLED "King's" so...

some offspring of The Auld Queen after 1902?.....

Tony-- per #113: that is "differenced" with a "label" of three points, which with the Saxe-Coburg crest suggests a child of Queen Victoria as honorary Colonel in Chief. I don't have British royal arms for that period, but it can't have been Prince Albert/King Edward AFTER Old Vicky died, or the label would have been gone when HE became King. Yet it is TITLED "King's" so...

some offspring of The Auld Queen after 1902?.....

Rick,

I just read in one of my books that the King's Colonials was raised in Nov. 1901. They had 2 cap badges both worn together at the front of their slouch hat, the regimental coat of arms (#113) "inexplicably with QVC although the unit was raised after Queen Victoria's death" was worn above the squadron badge. They had another badge worn at the side, this was the monogram KC badge.

I wonder if they did Victoria's crown on purpose or not. I also have the KC badge somewhere, I'll has to see if I can find it.

Tony

Here are a few more of my badges.

First up is the Remounts, I?m not sure if they were a WWI unit or not. I only noticed just now that the slider has R Slater 08 scratched into it.

Tony

I believe this badge is a WW2 Home Guard badge for Morris Motors although I have never been able to find much about it. Note the two silver M's on the scroll. Sorry about the pics, I am restricted to the size I can post.