News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 354
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And last two for now, Durham Light Infantry and for the Foot Guards the Grenadier Guards, Guardsmans cap badge, I think the Royal cypher goes on the ball of the grenade for sergants, warrant officers and musicians.

Edited by Marcus H

Here's a later 19th Queen Alexandra's Own Royal Hussars, 1909 - 1922.

I don't know what the horse is so I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who can ID it.

Thanks

Tony

The horse is an NCO's arm badge to the 5th (Princess Charlotte's Own) Dragoon Guards, not to be confused with the 3rd King's Own Hussars, which has a bushier tail.

Some say good some say bad on this as it's a thin horse ???

I've got to say bad on the thin horse Marcus, if only because I have one exactly the same even down to that small reversed 'tick' mark die flaw in the G of the cypher. It shouldn't be there.

That AAC badge is one that some have issues with, saying that the extra metal along the spine of the eagle shouldn't be there. I'm tending to buck the trend and say that it's perfectly right. I do however have a restrike (or fake since I don't think it's from an original die) that would better satisfy people.

I don't have a problem with the Recce Corps with lugs, seen more like this than with sliders. I think collars were the same size so just maybe.........

MFP don't know about that one, it looks very much like my 'representative copy' (good way of saying fake), but I don't think I've seen one that could be attributed.

The Northamptonshire Cadets, what a treasure, any history on it? I haven't seen those faked.

Kettering Vols is a nice one! Wickstead Park Warriors?

Next batch?

The horse is an NCO's arm badge to the 5th (Princess Charlotte's Own) Dragoon Guards, not to be confused with the 3rd King's Own Hussars, which has a bushier tail.

Cheers for that Jim.

Tony

Hi Jim,

Wickstead Park do you know it !! Thats where I live, I walk the dog there each day biggrin.gif

The Northants Cadet one, was one Dad got post war sometime either when he was in RAF or before he joined ? He can't remember bless him but he's knocking onto 80 now. He's from up North & and Mums from Bucks, so no relation to anything/one down here in the family.

The Kettering Volunteers badge, I bought that along with some WW2 Home Guard shoulder titles NN what ever they are, again up the loft some where sad.gif I thought maybe he was in the first war, at home or oversea's perhaps and then joined a Kettering Dads Army lot, I bet they did train at Wickies biggrin.gif

The MFP reminds me of the Royals (Royal Dragoon cap badge) ?????

Here's the reverse out of interest

Kr

Marcus

Hi Jim,

Wickstead Park do you know it !! Thats where I live, I walk the dog there each day biggrin.gif

The Northants Cadet one, was one Dad got post war sometime either when he was in RAF or before he joined ? He can't remember bless him but he's knocking onto 80 now. He's from up North & and Mums from Bucks, so no relation to anything/one down here in the family.

The Kettering Volunteers badge, I bought that along with some WW2 Home Guard shoulder titles NN what ever they are, again up the loft some where sad.gif  I thought maybe he was in the first war, at home or oversea's perhaps and then joined a Kettering Dads Army lot, I bet they did train at Wickies biggrin.gif

The MFP reminds me of the Royals (Royal Dragoon cap badge)  ?????

Here's the reverse out of interest

Kr

Marcus

Yeah, Wickstead Park it was the Alton of the 60s, helter skelter and all that, couldn't be beaten in '63. Has it changed much? We used to live in Corby sad.gifsad.gif

That Kent badge with the INVICTA in block letters is still a mystery, I keep checking but can't pin it down

Marcus,

This scan is from the latest edition of John Gaylor's Military Badge Collecting Plate 30. The West Kent Yeomanry (Queen's Own). As you can see there are a few small differences such as the head and fore legs but it's the closest I've got to identifying this badge. They merged with The Royal East Kent Yeomanry in 1920 and became a gunner unit.

I'm not totally convinced that these are the same, hopefully one day someone will come up with a definitive answer.

I've had a good look through this thread and come up with the following:-

#48 (1st) King's Dragoon Guards, worn from 1937. At some time in WW2 this was changed to white metal.

#56 Queens Own Cameron Highlanders pre 1897 pattern but believed to have survived in wear a lot longer (1960s?)

#4 Known within the regiment as 'The Motto' not as a cap badge was the 17th Lancers, not changed in amalgamation with the 21st.

#10 Post war REME

#14 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, is it brass or white metal? Normal badge for all types of headdress.

#15 This is not a Jewish Chaplains badge. It's often attributed to the 'Jewish Brigade'. Beware of the Trinidad and Tobago Police badge also misrepresented as Jewish Chaplain.

#22 Strange that this badge should have the EGYPT plinth slotted for the castle. Difficult to explain, but then so is my blackened version.

#26 POW = Princess of Wales.

#92 Guards Machine Gun Battalion, 'Quinque juncta in uno' meaning Five joined as one, referring to the five regiments of foot guards. Later replaced by the Guards Machine Gun Regiment.

Loathe to end on a sour note, but the Nelson Bn. badges are well known fakes. The first 'N' in Nelson should be upright.

• 3 weeks later...