News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 354
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tony,

Very hard to say, but my first impressions are it looks OK.? My w/m is very strong and the edging gives alot of re-inforcement.? I notice yours is quite deeply stamped with the edging too.?? K & K only mention a w/m one.? Is your just dirty or it is a blackened one ? As for the spots, who knows.? Maybe it came from a different die.? I would think that with all the voiding this would be a very time consuming badge to make so maybe more than one manufacturer was involved, hence the two rather than three loops.? Does anyone know roughly how many a territorial battalion would need over six years of peacetime.

As a footnote when I bought mine it also came with a pair of matching collars and all three items had the red felt backing.

I'll re-scan mine on higher definition next week and send you the pics for comparision.

Keith

I think it's OK as well. Though not listed in K&K I don't think that they were infallable. There are quite a few totally genuine examples that are not listed. Perhaps had the internet been around when the books were written they would have been twice as thick. Sadly it wasn't, so when we see a badge like this we start to doubt it . 'Not a textbook example' but I don't see anything wrong.

The two small 'beads' I think are due to inclusions when the die was first made from the 'master' die. Examples will probably found with and without, what about the bigger one on the cross?

A badge I could live with.

Edited by Jim Maclean

Jim,

The bigger bead on the cross? Do you mean the one on the reverse? If so I've just gone over that with my thumbnail and it has come off so I'm not sure what it was. The only beads I can see on the front are the 2 on the bottom of the crown.

Andy,

Where did you find those badges? I don't think I've ever seen half of them anywhere before.

Tony

Jim,

The bigger bead on the cross? Do you mean the one on the reverse? If so I've just gone over that with my thumbnail and it has come off so I'm not sure what it was. The only beads I can see on the front are the 2 on the bottom of the crown.

Andy,

Where did you find those badges? I don't think I've ever seen half of them anywhere before.

Tony

Hi Tony

Purchased and scrounged form anywhere and everywhere. Alwyas on the lookout for more if you come across any.Here is a nice one to Nottingham School OTC

regards

andy