News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian decoration?

Eduardo

Good morning, this is my first post in this section of the forum. I have this decoration with the inscription: CAROLVS D.G. IMP. AVST. REX BOH. ETC. ET REX APOST. HUNG. /FORTITUDE. The engraver is "Kautsch". I was told that this is a First World War decoration. Could someone please give me some details.

Eduardo

Hi eduardo, your pic shows an Austrian-Hungarian Bravery-medal in Silver 2nd Class depicting Emperor Charles I. The medal dates from 1917/18, should weight 16 gramms and has a diameter of 30mm.

when it is made in real silver there should be a small A-Hallmark on the rim next to the suspension.

(direction 1 o'clock)

this medal was given to soldiers and NCO's during WW1.

there existed a bronze medal

a silver medal 2nd class (diameter 30mm)

a silver medal 1st class (40mm)

a golden medal (diameter 40mm)

regards

haynau

"CAROLVS D.G. IMP. AVST. REX BOH. ETC. ET REX APOST. HUNG." means "Charles by the grace of God Emperor of Austria, King of Bohemia, etc. and Apostolic King of Hungary." Kaiser Karl authorized the new series of Bravery Medals on 4 April 1917.

On 15 September 1917 (with effect from 5 October 1917), the gold Bravery Medal and the large silver Bravery Medal were authorized for officers. In these cases, a "K" device was authorized for the ribbon.

My sources say 17 grams for the small silver.