News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First World War postcards

Eduardo

I started collecting World War I postcards with the idea of presenting them as a class aid at my XXth century European class at Universidad de Lima. I found they could be so interesting that got very involved in the subject. Finally, being a compulsary collector I started getting any I could. Here I will show my collection. Not a large nor fantastic collection but which may help some forum members to put in place some of the objects of their own interest.

Eduardo

I will start with some from Belgium. my family's country.

• Replies 316
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A view of Vis? next to the border with Holand.The German Army entered Belgium marching from Aachen to the bridge of Vise in their way to Liege. This was done on the 4th August and lasted until the 6th.

Edited by Eduardo

Sorry David. I don't have any more from Beverloo. If I find something I will let you know.

Now I will present some italian cards. The first one is a painting of the mountains in northern Italy were their soldiers were figting.

Eduardo

Nice cards Eduardo,

I think I must have quite a few cards myself, mainly focused on the Western Front showing British and German soldiers as well as some wedding and family shots.

I find most cards can still be bought at a reasonable price and are sometimes very interesting if you can understand what's written on the reverse.

Tony

Since he was going to be hanged he changes his clothes to avoid dishonoring his Italian uniform. Although the rope broke and should have been left free, he was hanged witha new rope. The postcards shown here were made out of the photographs taken specifically for that purpose.

Eduardo

Hi Eduardo,

Hope it's okay to add a couple here... my sole contributions at this stage. One I believe is an older piece which I'm assuming is original to the period. It was a gift from my French teacher who collected stamps and postcards from her travels around the world.

[attachmentid=56588]

[attachmentid=56589]

The second one is a modern reprint. A gift from my best friend who collects postcards. I love the uniforms and all the gongs on this one.

[attachmentid=56590]

[attachmentid=56591]

I love the ones you've posted :jumping::jumping: and hope to acquire more myself at some point. I can definitely see where they'd be very addictive. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hello Dan, Yes they can be addictive. and it's necesary to keep a cold head many times. I started it just as a project for school (my main collection is Roman coins) http://www.grifomultimedia.it/adg/monrom/Index.htm

But I got more involved as I saw the graphic and historic posibilities of the cards.

This postcard which follows is of the same serie as the Battisti ones. This one if of the execution of another Italian hero, Lt. Damiano Chiesa. A pilot whose excution was also photographed and transformed into post cards to scare the resistence in the Trentino. The outrage of the Italians was such that soon the Austrians stoped issuing them and tried to recall the ones already in circulation.

Eduardo

Hello Dan, Yes they can be addictive. and it's necesary to keep a cold head many times. I started it just as a project for school (my main collection is Roman coins) http://www.grifomultimedia.it/adg/monrom/Index.htm

But I got more involved as I saw the graphic and historic posibilities of the cards.

This postcard which follows is of the same serie as the Battisti ones. This one if of the execution of another Italian hero, Lt. Damiano Chiesa. A pilot whose excution was also photographed and transformed into post cards to scare the resistence in the Trentino. The outrage of the Italians was such that soon the Austrians stoped issuing them and tried to recall the ones already in circulation.

Eduardo

Hi Eduardo,

It never ceases to amaze me how many times in history countries have done this sort of thing thinking they'll frighten someone into stopping their resistance to tyranny, only to have it backfire... often badly.

As to coins, that's great... I also collect ancients... primarily Roman. Nothing spectacular as yet but I've been picking up what I can whenever I can.

If you'd like to see them send me your email address and when I get time over the next few days I'll try doing up some scans of what I have. It's something I've dabbled with over the years... never been able to dump a ton of money into it. But the subject fascinates me as does all numismatic history... including currency, etc. I also metal detect and how I'd love to go into an area where they have ancient coins and where it's legal to detect and retreive such treasures... such as in England. I know some folks who have gone over and come back with spectacular finds... all legal and above board. Great stuff including some gold as well.

I've managed to pick up two or three basic references on ancient coins and used to get dealer catalogs as well which I still have in storage after our move.

So how long have you collected? Do you have an area of specialization such as the Emperors, or just a particular Caesar, demonination or a particular metal you collection such as all bronze or all silver? I've never managed a silver... and that's been a long time goal. I was rather stupid and have kicked myself ever since. Can't remember the Emperor pictured but I passed up on an absolutely spectacular silver piece between the size of a U.S. nickel and quarter... a sizeable piece and with a fair thickness as well. Beautiful silver with a lovely light patina to it... nearly a rainbow. If I remember correctly it was around $49 and I should have grabbed it. And now even rough examples often go for that.

Probably should continue this in emails or PM's so we don't go much further :off topic: . :P Again send me your email address via PM and I'll do up those pics and send them along first chance I get.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Zeppelin Raid in England. This card of the L2 suposedly shows a Zeppelin raid over England, but as can clearly be notized there is no raid at all. The people under the L2 are promenading. I have heard of another one of this badly made propaganda cards in which a german oficer in a horse with a competition golden trophy is presented as looting. Has anybody seen any other cards like these?

Edited by Eduardo

This post card was issued by the United States Army as publicity for the "Liberty Bonds", and was posted pn April 10, 1918. It seems to me that the person tothe left is General Pershing. Am I right?

Edited by Eduardo

A ship in ruff waters makes a wonderfull photograph. In the botom there are two sets of letters ARA to the left and AC-5 to the right. Could someone tell me what they mean.

Eduardo

Edited by Eduardo