News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First World War postcards

Eduardo

I have just bought this card. The picture was taken in the Ardenes but cannot point out when was it taken Enselborn was specially important during WW II but this one seems to be from the Great War. I cannot read what seems like a date in the upper part and of cours the hadwritting which, bsides being in Gernan is very clear. Could someone help please?

Eduardo

• Replies 316
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

I see what you see which is-- illegible pencil faded away.

When you get a new scanner, get an EPSON. Do not buy ANY other kind or you are simply throwing your money away.

Hi Eduardo,

"I understood that Elsenborn was in Liege province in Belgium. Why German stamp in 1910?"

That is part of the French-Belgium-German history:

Till 1795 the area was Luxemburgish.

1795 to 1814 the area was French.

1814 to 1920 the area was German.

1920 to 1940 the area was Belgium.

1940 to 1944 the area was annexed by the German.

1944 till present it is Belgium.

The official language in this Belgium municipality is German!

Regards

Uwe

• 5 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Merci Eduardo

For all those beautiful maps, that my to give desire to revisitted those places

histirique.

Thank you as for the last map , Ans , Liège, who are towns of my infancy

Edited by keke

• 3 years later...

This thread has been dormant too long! Time to get back to posting those WWI postcards everyone! I've recently put a lot in the Imperial section related specifically to artillery uniforms, but I know there are a lot more post cards out there without a specific theme... Here's a sketch of Hindenburg...no decorations.

(Of course, I have it my collection because it has a feldpost stempel for 4. Rekr. Depot FAR 22 on the reverse ;) )

This one is interesting as it shows French soldiers captured by the Germans. The German caption calls them Frenchmen and Turks; however, the other soldiers are really French Zouaves from North Africa. The French regiment is the 26ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne. This regiment participated in the Bataille de Morhange in Lorraine in August 1914; since the post card was printed in Metz, I suppose these are some of the first French prisoners taken in the war. The card is also dated 8 Dec 1914 and mailed by a soldier in the German Feld-Artillerie Regiment Nr. 25 to Hessen. FAR 25 as part of 25. Division was in Stellungskämpfe in northern France by that time (coincidentally, so was the French 26. Infantry Regiment).

One would think that this lovely lady sent her photo to her lover at the Front. However, curiously, this card was sent by a soldier in the 2. Lothringisches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr.34 to a Fraulein on the home front. I've posted the reverse in case anyone can translate the note to find out exactly why he sent this lovely lady to a lady.

Hi,

there is nothing about the picture of the girl. I think, that she (Grete Linneborn) sent him (Josef Mertens) several pictures of herself, and he sent one of them back?

Text:

Die herzlichsten Grüße sendet Ihnen noch gesund und munter Jos. Mertens.

Viele Grüße an Ihre Eltern und Ihre Schwester Else.

Mein Bruder war gestern hier.

Uwe

This is a common, often-seen, generic post card of a German field artillery battery moving forward...this is one of the most common artillery post cards I see; probably distributed across the entire Army. This one has the feldpost stempels of "Leichte Munitions Kolonne Feld-Artillerie Regiment Nr. 61" and the "25. Inf. Div."

A stange patriotic postcard, stressing that Germany is innocent in the World War. A reply to an accusation?

The postamp is 2 September 1915, sent by an Artillery man from the Guards Depot II Foot-Artillery-Regiment in Döberitz