News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First World War postcards

Eduardo

• Replies 316
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This postcard, published in France by Alex Jouvene is printed in Spanish. and t translates to "A bunch of empty shells near a battery".

Hi Eduardo,

Wow! Now that's alot of shootin'! :P:jumping::jumping:

Fantastic collection. Keep them coming!

Dan :cheers:

Very nice collection :beer:

Just for the record : Dan, the legend on your "Cousins" postcard is wrong - both wearing Prussian uniforms.

George V is wearing the uniform of K?rassier-Regiment Graf Ge?ler (Rheinisches) Nr. 8 - of which he bacame Chef c. 1908.

The Tsar is wearing his uniform as Chef of Husaren Regiment Nr.8.

This regiment was not fitted with the Pelisse, BUT Colonels in Chief and Generals "? la suite" of Hussars Regiment were granted one - that can be recognized by its brown fur lining.

The photo was taken at the occasion of the wedding of Ernst August v. Braunschweig-L?neburg (late "of Cumberland") with the Kaiser's only daughter, Viktoria Luise. They married on 24th may 1913, in Berlin - and that was to be the last big gathering of European Royalty.

It was customary since the mid-1800s for royalty to wear the uniform of "their" local Regiment when visiting a country. It is said that Emperor Wilhelm I started the trend when visiting Austria after the 1866 war, not willing to further infuriate the defeated Austrians.

Jerome

Hi Jerome,

Many thanks for this info on my card. I'd have never caught it unless I had it near another reference showing the same with the correct info. I'll have to make a note of it and keep it with the card.

Thanks again! :beer:

The Cenothaphe in honor of the dead..

Hi Eduardo,

Another great piece. Sorry I've been out of the loop for a few days but I've been rather under the weather. Hoping tomorrow and over the weekend I'll be able to get more caught up on things. Went through and made a bunch of replies to posts this evening but getting ready to go relax a bit as I'm still not 100%.

Just out of curiosity, how do you display all these? It's a rather large collection. Do you use albums or have them in frames or what? I have another friend who collects postcards of stars of yesteryear and he keeps alot of his in something similar to rolodex holders where they can be flipped around and you can see a ton of them on each display holder.

I have a German postcard collection that runs from WWII through the post war years. Mostly just scenic cards from members of the same family during that time period but all bought as a group and kept that way by me ever since. But so far they're just kept in a box awaiting better display. :beer:

Hello Dan. I keep my cards in special plastic pages that I buy from a dealer somewhere in northern U.S. They are really very cheap and made of a material that does not deteriorates the cards. Will send you the address.

Now I am presenting General Pershing as he pareades in front of the Arc de triomphe.

Edited by Eduardo

American flags by the Arc de Triomphe.

Hi Eduardo,

Great shots with flags. Just wish the flags were bigger as I have a friend who loves to see them in all their glory... and the finials as well. If you have more with such please post them as I too love those. He got me re-hooked on flags, banners, etc. and finials. I always try to let him know whenever I see some good pics or film footage of such being displayed. :jumping::jumping:

Simply a spectacular collection you have! I just can't get enough of them. It's like an archive of the war. Outstanding! :beer:

Please keep em' coming! :jumping: