News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First World War postcards

Eduardo

This postcard which I have clasified as "Nr. 202" for obvious reasons, shows a partial view of a town with some badly destroyed houses while others seem intact. It was whitten on six February 1918 and posted the following day. Now knowing German I can only read the entering line, "My dear ones". Maybe the seals in the back or the visual memory of a forum member could help to know which town it is. The Editor references are also in the back including the street number but again, I can't read that script.

Eduardo

• Replies 316
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Not a photograph but an artist interpretation, this card of the serie "Panorama of the Battle of Yser" by A. Bastian has the caption in the back: "Nieuport. Fire of the Lobbestal's tavern. The las howitzer shels. October 16th. 1914. It was printed and published by Imp. S.A. "Notre Pays" at Brussels.

Another Belgian related card, this one printed by "STA" without any other reference, I guess was published in Italy since the first caption is in Italian. The second caption is in French and the free translation is: "The desperate defence of the Belgians. New supplies for the fortresses".

This is my last one tonight.

A beautifull and colorfull card printed in Viena by "Buchdrukerei "Industrie". Shows German Adm, Alfred von Tirpitz; Adm. Anton Haus, Commander in Chief of the Imperial Austrian Navy (1913-17) and Erzherzog Leopold Salvator. Thanks to Glenn, Mike Dwyer and Naxos of this forum I was able to find the identity of the three. A note by Naxos which I add here, gives a logical explanation for the production of this odd card.

"Since two out of three are Navy personalities, I think the flags are for the great navy battles at Skagerrak (Battle of Jutland) and at the Dardanellen (Dardanelles). As well as indicating the two major allies of Austria."

Eduardo

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Hello Brooks,

Sorry for not answering before. I have been out of Lima for the holydays and am just back. Yes Playle is a wonderfull store for postcards. I have bought many for my World War I collection from them. Also many for my Peruvian and Belgian collections.

Thank you very much and sorry for not having answered before.

Eduardo

Edited by Eduardo

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am coming back after a long time. Fortunatelly it is because I have much work. In the meantime I have got some new postcards for my collection. Want to start with this one of the German troops inside the old palace of the Princes Eveques in Liege.

The fort of Loncin near Ans, Liege was one of the forts arround Liege which hold the German invasion long enough to give the British and the French time to organize their defense. General Leman was captured inconcient among the ruble of the destroyed fort of Loncin. The defence had been so brave that the invaders allowed him to keep his sword.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a view of what is left of the buildings in front of the university from which, it was argued, some civilians shot their guns. According to Toynbee, it was one group of German soldiers who had sacked the wine from the sellers nearby and had been drinking it, who were the ones responsible for the shooting. The result, besides some Belgians and even some Spanish students shot, was the destruction of the buildings shown here. The victorious officers lined up for the picture.

Eduardo

• 1 month later...

The defence of Liege dalayed the Germans enough as to give the French and British to prepare the defence. This postcard shows one of the bridges in Liege destroyed tho make the crossing of the Meuse more dificult.

• 3 months later...

It has been a long time since I last posted a card here. I have been having problems with my scaner and waiting for someone to fix it. I believe that will get a new one and forget the old one.

This card here shows a group of Belgian and French prisioners guarded by German soldiers and a Red Cross man.

Eduardo,

You have a great collection of postcards, I really enjoyed looking at them! I have seen a few WW1 postcards but never anything like these. Thank you for posting them and I'll be looking forward to seeing more in the future.

Cherie