News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A little Imperial Japanese quiz for you all !

Paul L Murphy

As Ed says, a very good example of a Japanese Imperial uniform and Japanese Imperialism (offending phrases have been edited out by yours truely). This was worn until 1945 during the period when Korea was under Japanese occupation. His orders are the 2nd class of both the Order of the Taeguk and Order of the Eight Trigams (both Korean under Japanese occupation), the 3rd Class Sacred Treasure and 4th Class Rising Sun. The commemorative medals do not show well here but he has a decent selection of Japanese and Korean awards.

Before you ask, unfortunately I only have the two photos, I do not have his orders or documents.

With regard to the buttons, they are a pawlonia leaf however this style of pawlonia leaf button was only worn on Korean uniforms, not on Japanese. The pawlonia leaf on Japanese buttons is raised out, not recessed in as on these.

Cheers,

Paul

Afraid this next one is as good as I can get since I am working from a photo of a photo (the original is with my in-laws in Japan since I did not want to bring it back to Moscow with me).

Regarding your earlier comment on Manchurian buttons, I am not sure if they had a special pattern. I do not have any decent photos of Manchurian official uniforms that show the buttons sufficiently to enable them to be identified. I think most of the Japanese officials in Manchuria continued to wear Japanese uniform since in the scheme of things it was a much younger conquest, but that is just my own theory on it.

If my memory (and eyesight) are correct he has the following on his medal bar : - The Imperial Constitution Promulgation Commemorative Medal; Meiji 25th Wedding Anniversary Medal; Korean Annexation Commemorative Medal; Taisho Enthronement Commemorative Medal; Merit Medal; Korean Imperial 50th Birthday Commemorative Medal; Korean Imperial Tour Commemorative Medal; Capital Rehabilitation Commemorative Medal; unclear ?; Red Cross Cross of Merit; Red Cross Special Member Medal.

Not sure on the two Korean awards but pretty certain on the Japanese ones. All in all a nice medal bar and unfortunately one that is not in my collection. I suppose I could try to recreate it but I tend to be a bit of a purest in these things.

It appears to be a full rank or just this service only had one rank...

However... Hat, simple gold-work....

However full honours grandcrosses etc.....

HUmmmmmmm somewhere in his eyes I read..... either court-marshall or an ambassador???

Kind regards,

Jacky

there are five ranks Baron, Viscount, Count, Marquis and Prince....

You're correct,

little Wiki helped it out;

Wiki

However I will stick to the ambassador as it's quite boring when everyone goes Noble ;)

.... Hummm my answer did quite a long time to post itself???... anyway, it's a noble??

Can we see which rank he had, based on the picture?

Kind regards,

Jacky

Edited by Jacky