News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RM Musician award

Hello

I am an ex RM musician so thought I would post this for you to check out as it is unusual and I guess you dont see many on here?.

I am the recipient of this award Cassell Prize silver medal . I won this in 1993 for winning a soloist competition held at the Royal Marines school of music, Deal, Kent. This competition was open to all of training company and was run over a few months culminating in a final of 8 musicians. I played clarinet and played "Three Etudes on Themes of Gershwin". I was presented with this medal at Stationers Hall in London by Worshipful Company of Musicians.

collector of all Deutsches Reich medals and awards

EuRob,

Congratulations! :jumping: A very, very nice medal! :beer:

I had the honor and distinct pleasure of enjoying a performance by the Royal Marine band several years ago. When I was in the army and stationed in the Washington, DC area (1985-1990) there was a big show nearby at a local sports arena that featured the Royal Marine band and a Highland band (it may have been The Black Watch, I don't remember). My wife and I attended. I love British military bands! I was not an army musician, but I was in marching band in high school and university and have always enjoyed military music.

Again, congratulations.

EuRob,

I had the honor and distinct pleasure of enjoying a performance by the Royal Marine band several years ago. When I was in the army and stationed in the Washington, DC area (1985-1990) there was a big show nearby at a local sports arena that featured the Royal Marine band and a Highland band (it may have been The Black Watch, I don't remember). My wife and I attended. I love British military bands! I was not an army musician, but I was in marching band in high school and university and have always enjoyed military music.

Again, congratulations.

Thanks chaps :beer:

It really wasnt a moment of outstanding bravery but its a nice medal. Mike, I am happy to hear you like military music, alas I do not! When you have played HM Jollies umpteenth millilon times (actually that was an ok one to play) but you know what I mean :lol: , it got tedious. I left and freelanced as a muso gigging around Europe then went back to school and got a music degree. I now teach and gig(UK), clarinet/sax/flute.

Regards

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

EuRob,

Again, congratulations.

I saw the band yesterday (20/10)...the band was playing for a Liz visit...

Chris ..exbootneck...non instrument type

The Visitor....who the band turned up for...

Fots bring back a few memories Rob...

...it did for me...the band in full blues on a very hot summers day in 82 were at the gangplank at Southampton when we returned on the Canberra...awesome display of music and turned the day into even more of an event....when they played Land of Hope and Glory the entire crowd sang their hearts out...just like last nite at the prom...

Edited by Chris S

Fots bring back a few memories Rob...

...it did for me...the band in full blues on a very hot summers day in 82 were at the gangplank at Southampton when we returned on the Canberra...awesome display of music and turned the day into even more of an event....when they played Land of Hope and Glory the entire crowd sang their hearts out...just like last nite at the prom...

Hi Chris :beer:

Where abouts was the event? It does look like Southampton and not the dockyard? I played many ships in and get this we used to see all the girlfriends there and we saw them in "Joannas" the week before and lets just say they were enjoying themselves! :lol:

I knew a bandy who was on Canberra in 82. His name is Fred Miller, you know him? He was a sergeant when I was in the mob and a very funny bloke. Once we both played in a small orchestra on HMS Victory for the 2nd Sea Lord and the tune we were playing was "Sobre las Olas" by J. Strauss, a well known fairground tune, well Fred was simulating shooting ducks with his flute and I was struggling to keep it together on my solo and the Bandmaster gave me a look of "dont u dare!". I did have a great time in the mob and got to know many a decent bloke and lots were Bootnecks. Mostly provost at Deal and PTI's, PWI's, oh and a mention to the provost Sergeant who once gave me a bollocking of the century but thats another story!!

I saw a few places and I wouldnt be doing what I am now if I hadnt of joined the RM Band I am sure of it. I have so many great experiences It would take too long to put on this post!

Thanks for the pics Chris

Rob

Hi Chris :beer:

Where abouts was the event? It does look like Southampton and not the dockyard? I played many ships in and get this we used to see all the girlfriends there and we saw them in "Joannas" the week before and lets just say they were enjoying themselves! :lol:

I knew a bandy who was on Canberra in 82. His name is Fred Miller, you know him? He was a sergeant when I was in the mob and a very funny bloke. Once we both played in a small orchestra on HMS Victory for the 2nd Sea Lord and the tune we were playing was "Sobre las Olas" by J. Strauss, a well known fairground tune, well Fred was simulating shooting ducks with his flute and I was struggling to keep it together on my solo and the Bandmaster gave me a look of "dont u dare!". I did have a great time in the mob and got to know many a decent bloke and lots were Bootnecks. Mostly provost at Deal and PTI's, PWI's, oh and a mention to the provost Sergeant who once gave me a bollocking of the century but thats another story!!

I saw a few places and I wouldnt be doing what I am now if I hadnt of joined the RM Band I am sure of it. I have so many great experiences It would take too long to

Thanks for the pics Chris

Rob

Rob I was a PW1...this fot was in Estonia yesterday...joined Deal as a recruit this month in 74 and then joined CTCRM...still doing the job by other means as you are...

The bandies on the Canberra were terrific...they were so versatile...Elvis impressions etc...in much demand and then became hands in the field...

Edited by Chris S