News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

When stamped on equipment.... what exaclty is this?

Beschafungs amt? Bekleidungs amt? Bayerische Armee Korps? I listened to 2 germans argue this for 10 minutes today....

Hi Chris,

I have always believed it stands for Bekleidungsamt and the K stands for Korps. It is usually found together with a Roman numeral, which corresponds to the army corps district.

Does anyone (Chip!) have a written period reference for this?

David

Jens,

No, it is BekleidungsAmt and then the corps number. There is no Armeekorps meant to be included in this abbreviation. I guess you could say that it is "understood" that the Roman numeral is the corps number.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 5 years later...

The Bavarians used the B.A. stamp in most cases, but at some point during the war (1915 I think), they came out with a Hersteller code, similar to the WWII German manufacturer codes. As far as I know (from the examples I have seen), this was only done by the Bekleidungs Depot of the III.b.A.K.. So what you see in the marking is a rectangle intersected in the middle by a vertical line. On the left half is the vendor code and on the right is "B.D.III" over the date. I've seen this on everything from Bluse, to Unterhose, to cartridge pouches and pretty much any other issued item coming out of that corps depot.

Chip

So far, I have logged twenty different manufacturer codes spanning the years 1915-1918. I have no idea who the manufacturers are. Perhaps that information is buried somewhere in the Bavarian decrees or orders. There would have to have existed some index.

Chip

I always thought it was a Navy thing. Look at this postcard -- your thoughts?

Joe,

That's pretty interesting. Certainly not a navy marking. In this case, I think the stamp means, "Proviant-Kolonne 6, II.Bayerisches Armee Korps".

Chip

• 2 years later...

I have always believed it stands for Bekleidungsamt and the K stands for Korps. It is usually found together with a Roman numeral, which corresponds to the army corps district.

Does anyone (Chip!) have a written period reference for this?

Bekleidungsamt it is and as another person pointed out, this is a naval mark for Kiel: for the army it would be followed by the AK number (using Roman numbers). The DVE 185 regulations of 1909 and subsequently amended are the period reference you need. So, for example, it explains the marking "B.A.II.3.4." as "Bekleidungsamt des ...ten Armeekorps, Betriebsabteilung II, 3.Kompagnie, Waffe nr.4 - B.A.II.3.4."