News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some of you may have noticed my new website:

www.virtute-et-fidelitate.net

It is about Orders and decorations of Kurhessen. This country ceased to exist after the 7 weeks war of 1866. Although not regularly seen on medalbars nowadays, I still think such references are not at all a waist of time and money.

They do add e.g.:

biographical data.

are of iconographical worth, as it is possible to date and identify portraits.

Do or don't you agree with this and why do you think I should keep going/not bother at all

What about the way I am presenting my information up to now (excell-sheets and html)

About the lack of pictures, I am working on it :blush:

hope to hear from you

Best regards

David

Edited by David M

Some of you may have noticed my new website:

www.virtute-et-fidelitate.net

It is about Orders and decorations of Kurhessen. This country ceased to exist after the 7 weeks war of 1866. Although not regularly seen on medalbars nowadays, I still think such references are not at all a waist of time and money.

They do add e.g.:

biographical data.

are of iconographical worth, as it is possible to date and identify portraits.

Do or don't you agree with this and why do you think I should keep going/not bother at all

What about the way I am presenting my information up to now (excell-sheets and html)

About the lack of pictures, I am working on it :blush:

hope to hear from you

Best regards

David

David,

Good effort and keep going - websites do not grow overnight, but develop over time.

Choosing to present information on a limited subject is a good idea as you can concentrate on doing one or two things very well, rather than trying to cover everything. Your potential audience might be limited, but you will probably be able to go for quality rather than quantity.

It would be a good idea to avoid anything that cannot be displayed easily by a standard browser. MS Excel can only be displayed by a system that has Excel or an equivalent office suite installed. Not every visitor to your site (or search engine) will use the same operating system and applications as you. What seems fine on your computer may be not be rendered or legible on another system.

Keep up the good work,

David

Hi David!

Thanks for your reply!

David,

It would be a good idea to avoid anything that cannot be displayed easily by a standard browser. MS Excel can only be displayed by a system that has Excel or an equivalent office suite installed. Not every visitor to your site (or search engine) will use the same operating system and applications as you. What seems fine on your computer may be not be rendered or legible on another system.

>> Any suggestions on how to improve the presentation of the recipients data (i.s.o. the excell-sheets)?

Keep up the good work,

David

Thanks again

David

This has a lot of potential! I am not a medal guy, but the entire Hessian world is poorly understood by most. I have nothing but praise for what you're doing what I would offer one suggestion. It really is quite selfish because that is what I'm trying to accomplish.

I would love to see something on the history including a map. I have yet to find a clear map that I would feel comfortable with including in my writing. So if you find one I would love to get the same source. I think I feel fairly comfortable with what happened to Hesse after 1866. However, there were many boundary changes and ruling class problems prior to 1866. I would love to have you expound on that.

Hesse-Homburg (1813-1866: Hessen (-Homburg))

The Landgraviate of Hesse was a German state since 1708 (United Hesse since 1265. It was a member state of the German Confederation between 1815 and 1866. After the Prussian-Austrian War it was annexed in 1866 by Hesse-Darmstadt but ceded to Prussia later that year.

Hesse-Kassel (1813-1866: Hessen (-Kassel))

The Electorate of Hesse, a German state since 1567 (United Hesse since 1265), was a member state of the German Confederation from 1815 to 1866. It was annexed by Prussia in 1866 after the Prussian-Austrian War.

Anything you added to the history would be great!

This has a lot of potential! I am not a medal guy, but the entire Hessian world is poorly understood by most. I have nothing but praise for what you're doing what I would offer one suggestion. It really is quite selfish because that is what I'm trying to accomplish.

I would love to see something on the history including a map. I have yet to find a clear map that I would feel comfortable with including in my writing. So if you find one I would love to get the same source. I think I feel fairly comfortable with what happened to Hesse after 1866. However, there were many boundary changes and ruling class problems prior to 1866. I would love to have you expound on that.

Anything you added to the history would be great!

Hi Joe

I am thinking about preparing a page on the territorial change after 1800:

adding the Principality of Fritzlar 1803

Principality of Isenburg 1815

Grandduchy of Fulda 1816

I would like to combine this with discussing the development of the kurhessian Staatswappen and the titles of the Kurf?rst.

David