News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

Dond?s recent thread ?A nice little case? and a similar one on WAF have given me an idea for a thread/contest which could be both educational and fun. The goal is simple - guess what?s in the case. A few guidelines:

1. Let?s do one at a time. The winner gets to post the next case or can pass for another member to post.

2. Please post any number of pictures of the case with the top lid closed and give the dimensions of the case in mm.

3. Hints may be given at the option of the posting member.

4. Of course we should limit entries to official cases; and although, once guessed, it is preferable to be able to display the interior with the decoration in it, cases without decorations are welcome.

So, let?s see how this goes. The first entry, shown below, measures 81.5 x 81.5 x 26 mm.

Good luck,

Wild Card

• Replies 99
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Wildcard:

I see that no one else wants to play, so I will take a stab at it. My guess is that this is a case for a Mecklenburg-Schwerin Greifen-Orden Ehrenkreuz.

Best regards,

"SPM"

SPM and Wildcard,

I would love to be able to play, but I feel I don't know enough about cases.

Please continue as it will be a terrific way to learn more about them (and the items they contain).

David

Gentlemen,

We have a winner! :jumping: Congratulations Schie?platzmeister! :beer:

Confirming evidence follows.

David Gregory, thank you for your comments. My main purpose in starting this thread was to familiarize as many members as possible with these cases. Fortunately, there is a growing appreciation of the cases to the point where they are beginning to fetch some pretty impressive prices - a Red Eagle Order grand cross set case sold for $3,200 in Andreas Thies December 2004 auction. Beyond the means of most of us; but demand and appreciation are coming into play at the lower end as well; and (here is the good news) there is still a lot of material out there to be discovered.

It is not unusual to go to a show and see boxes of odd cases for sale. The sellers seldom have either the interest or ability to identify them, so there they are often offered for a fraction of their real value.

I realize that not all of the members have cases to be shown; but I hope that (1) this will not discourage them from guessing at the identification (they can pass on, as winners, posting something) and (2) those members who do have cases will make a special effort to participate.

Again, congratulations to SPM, I?m proud of you - the ball is in your court. :cheers:

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Things really come in bunches don?t they? If no one objects, I?ll post another to keep things going. So, here we go.

I think that the color of this case is unique among Imperial German cases. It measures 56 x 44 x 22 mm; and incidentally, the color is, in a way, a clue to the resident. Have at it.

Good luck,

Wild Card

Wildcard,

Thank you for providing another interesting example.

I must admit that I found the colour hint a little misleading and was going to suggest something Bavarian.

If I can make a request for a later part of the quiz, and provided there was a typical case for the award, would anybody be able to show what was used to present a Milit?r-Ehrenzeichen 2. Klasse? I have always assumed it came in something like the case for the Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen, but I have never seen one offered.

David

Only other option would be Labor Service Medal.... but it would be an exceptionally unusual case for that piece....

(Sorry, I waited as long as I could..... remember... stogieman=Saxony)

(I have a real brain burner when you guys & gals are ready !!!)