News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A few ribbonbars...

• Replies 87
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

Nice early ones! :cheers: I have never found a "FIVE across" for my own collection.

Nice early ones! :cheers: I have never found a "FIVE across" for my own collection.

Thank you Rick. I had not given it much thought; but since you mentioned it, it really is quite out of the ordinary.

Best wishes,

Wild Card :beer:

Gentlemen,

I would like to present Sr. Lt. Solomon Naumovich Arone's ribbon bars

Very nice set!

How did you come by them? I'm guessing those bars were what he wore immediately after the end of the war and he left military service shortly thereafter.

Hi Eric Gaumann,

These ribbon bars came with his decorations, etc., that I bought about four years ago from a dealer. What appealed to me about this, more than anything else, was the picture of him - no heroic pose, just an honest reflection of physical and emotional exhaustion. I think that it speaks volumes.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Fascinating thread! I do hope it continues. So many beautiful bars! :jumping: Here's my latest addition and my first painted bar:

Note what looks like an imperfection on the bottom center of the right hand ribbon second row. It's not. It was a bit of grime that I easily cleaned off and now they look fantastic. But I don't have a scanner here to do new shots of it.

These seem a bit smaller than the other Soviet ribbons I have. These are about a inch across for a total of three inches across the top row, etc., and only an inch from top to bottom. Perhaps it's just that I don't have any others with me to compare with them but they seem smaller.

But they are very well constructed and the colors are still quite nice. Any ideas on the time period on these?

The photos (and the ribbons) are courtesy of our fellow member Vitaly Kudinov (okudinova on Ebay) who I've dealt with for several years now. He carries some great items. Check out his goodies if you have a chance. Many thanks for these my friend! I love them!!!! :love: Here's hoping they're the first of many! :D

Dan :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Very nice-- but typically wrong-- Soviet civil police ("Militia") bar--

Victory over Germany, 20 Years (MVD), 15 Years (MVD)

10 years (MVD), 1965 Jubilee, 1948 Armed Forces jubilee

1968 jubilee, Police 1967 jubilee.

They SHOULD be

VoG, 1965, 1948

1968, 1967, 20

Sometimes the 1967 is very logically placed before the 1968.

If you've ever lasted through my Funny Haircuts & Badly Worn Medals photos threads, you'll see how non-regulation even senior officers wore their awards. :speechless1::speechless:

So your bar probably dates 1968-70, maybe 1968-75 if he didn't get a Lenin Jubilee in 1970. The 1948 is from still being in the military then, or in the Interior Troops part of the MVD. No 1958 because the civil police were not considered "armed forces." 1968 is as WW2 veteran, and apparently everyone in uniform in 1965 got that medal. This officer must have joined the army around 1944, so in 1958 he still had less than 15 years service, so he got the 10 years service medal and almost immediately the 15. A member of the armed forces would have previously gotten a MMM for 10 years, so you'll never see a 10 to a MILITARY veteran of WW2.

Well, not a REAL group with a military WW2/10 anyway.

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

That's actually better made than most-- and yet after all that work, they got the ribbons precedence wrong! Typical! :beer:

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...