News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Helmet with a LOT of History

This summer I bought this British Foreign Service Helmet. It came with the tin as well, which noted the owners name: Major C. Venables-Llewelyn of the Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry. With help of my friend Stuart Bates, we were able to track down that this officer was Sir Charles Venables-Llewelyn. He was a territorial, or volunteer. He served in World War I, rising to the rank of Colonel. His eldest son died in the war as well in 1917.

I did some digging and I found out that Sir Charles other son was actually a Brigadier in the First World War. Both Sir Charles and this son held the office of Lord-Lieutenant of Radnorshire, which has since been merged with the office of Lord-Lieutenant of Powys. Well, turns out the current Lord-Lieutenant is Sir John Venables-Llewleyn. I was able to contact Sir John, who was kind enough to send me a few photos.

The helmet:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Peter_Suciu

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that obtaining research documents in the Colonies is difficult to put it mildly. Therefore, I want to give credit to David Ford of

https://youroldbooksandmaps.co.uk/cdshop/home.php

for coming up with the idea of converting the rare hardcopy Army Lists to CDs which allowed myself and Peter to track down Sir C.L.D. Venables-Llewelyn.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Guest Rick Research

From 1935 British edition "Who's Who?" and 1970 Burke's Peerage:

Charles Leysham Dillwyn-Venables-Llewelyn

born 29 June 1870, died 24 June 1951. Assumed Venables name in 1893 upon marriage. Son of Sir John Talbot Dillwyn-Llewelyn, 1st Baronet (created 1890) Dillwyn-Llewelyn (1836-1927) and Julia Hicks-Beach (d. 1917, daughter of the 8th Baronet Hicks-Beach).

CB 1947, TD.

MP (Conservative) Radnors 1910.

Educated Eton and New College Oxford.

Married 1893 Katharine Minna Lister-Venables, daughter and heiress of Rev. Richard Lister-Venables of Llysdinam Hall.

They had 3 sons (one killed in France 1917 and the other in Norway 1940) and a daughter. Surviving son Charles Michael Dillwyn-Venables-Llewelyn who was 3rd Baronet in 1970. He ALSO married a Hicks-Beach (like his dad) who is listed as the daughter of the Viscount Quenington (apparently extinct before 1970) and sister of the 1970 Earl St. Aldwyn.

It is presumably HIS son John Michael, born 12 August 1938-- grandson of the helmet's wearer-- now in the family job.

CLD D-V-L was Lieutnant Colonel of Glamorgan Yeomanry 1908-18, Colonel 1918. Served in France 1916-18.

Lord Lieutenant of Radnorshire 1929-49.

Recreations: hunting and fishing.

Club: Carlton

Address (1935) Llysdinam, Newbridge-on-Wye, Radnorshire.