News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Introducing myself

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and Hauptman (Dan) asked me to post this pic of myself...my name is Torsten and I live in the UK...I am originally East German and when you look at the pic below then you can probably work out for yourself what I did for a couple of years in East Germany...the pic was taken on 7th october 1989 in Berlin and I am the bloke in the first row on the far right...Cheers, Torsten.

PS: I tried to upload a pic to this post and got the following forum message: The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments. maybe someone can help me??? Its just a normal quite small file

PS: I tried to upload a pic to this post and got the following forum message: The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments. maybe someone can help me??? Its just a normal quite small file

Torsten, what format is the picture saved in? If it is a bitmap, they are quite large - try saving it as .jpg

Hi Michael, its a normal jpeg, 110kb and 750x525 pixels...is there a restriction on image sze for posting on this forum?? Cheers, Torsten.

Yeah, I usually resise to something like 666 (nothing Satanic, just easy to type) pixels for the largest dimension.

Yeah, I usually resise to something like 666 (nothing Satanic, just easy to type) pixels for the largest dimension.

Hi Ed, just done that and still get the same error message: The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments. so don't know what to do now??? Cheers, Torsten.

Hi Torsten,

You may have to change the name of the file or shrink it down a bit more. One thing about this forum, if I try to load a picture that is too large and resize it, I find that I need to give it a new name. There is some sort of persistent forum memory about file sizes, and it remember the old size. It can get frustrating at times.

When you get settled in, you may want to glance at my few DDR items: :beer:

Good luck,

Ed

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Hi Torsten,

You may have to change the name of the file or shrink it down a bit more. One thing about this forum, if I try to load a picture that is too large and resize it, I find that I need to give it a new name. There is somne sort of persistent forum memory about file sizes, and it remembelr teh old size. It can get frustrating at times.

Good luck,

Ed

Hi Ed, I did actually rename it when I resized it...I suspect then that my file limit as a new member (and unpaid member) is only very small, but I cannot find anywhere what that limitation in file size might be??...I suspect that this would probably change if I was to pay the minimum subscription fee for this forum?? Will probably do that later..Cheers, Torsten.

Hi Ed, I did actually rename it when I resized it...I suspect then that my file limit as a new member (and unpaid member) is only very small, but I cannot find anywhere what that limitation in file size might be??...I suspect that this would probably change if I was to pay the minimum subscription fee for this forum?? Will probably do that later..Cheers, Torsten.

Torsten,

As a probationary member your file size is limited to 60 KB per post.

Active participation will soon make you a full member and the file size is then only restricted to 110 KB, which is more than enough for large images.

David

Torsten,

As a probationary member your file size is limited to 60 KB per post.

Active participation will soon make you a full member and the file size is then only restricted to 110 KB, which is more than enough for large images.

David

Hi David, thank you very much...that clears up then...mmmhh...I sustpect then that I should just pay up to make some sense of this thread again... :blush: Cheers, Torsten.

Hi Torsten,

Welcome my friend! :beer: Allow me to help out and post the pic for you. :cheers:

[attachmentid=57758]

It's a great shot. I'm dying to pull out the parade tape this weekend and look for this scene and perhaps find you in a few others.

Great to have you as a member and know we will all benefit from your being here.

Dan :cheers:

thank you everyone for making me welcome here and thank you Dan for posting the pic for me... :beer: hope you don;t mind, but maybe I could use this thread to ask questions about how to use this forum ...? and there are already many such questions....first up: I do not appear to be able to get back into my posts to edit them after about a day or so??...is there some option somewhere to tick to enable me to do so? I always make a lot of silly typos that I only notice afterwards and I need to be able to edit my posts later on...so that you guys can actually understand a little of what I am writing about... :speechless: Cheers, Torsten.

Edited by German.Militaria

Hi Torsten!

It is great to see you here!!! :beer: Do you have any other photos from you time in the service? You are the only DDR veteran I have known. I would love to hear about some of your experiences. What was your career field? Infantry? What rank did you obtain?

Paul

Hi Torsten!

It is great to see you here!!! :beer: Do you have any other photos from you time in the service? You are the only DDR veteran I have known. I would love to hear about some of your experiences. What was your career field? Infantry? What rank did you obtain?

Paul

Hear hear! :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping: Torsten, I know we've chatted a bit about such things but I knew many others would be equally curious. This is a fascinating subject. Thanks for asking Paul. :beer:

Dan :cheers: