News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help w/ Denison Smock

What unit does this represent??

Chris,

While I can't help you with the question of whether the smock is original, although it looks fine to me, I think the drop zone patch indicates that it was worn by a member of 7th Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery.

David

• 1 month later...

Chris,

While I can't help you with the question of whether the smock is original, although it looks fine to me, I think the drop zone patch indicates that it was worn by a member of 7th Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery.

David

It looks at best like a Belgian post war smock to me, although heavily modified.

The cuffs have been added later, as it also has the butonned straps on the sleeves.

The (upper) front pockets might have been re-sewn on under an angle.

The rear is a quilt like patchwork, with different coloured cloth, as compared to the sleeves. The front zipper has been altered to full length.

The buttons on the back of the collar are new to me

The DZ flashes, if original were first worn post-war. Labels are known to be reproduced.

Only good if accompanied with a (probably interesting, if real) provenance, otherwise I'm afraid it's rather a strange hodgepodge. Hope you didn't pay a lot.

Fougasse1940

It looks at best like a Belgian post war smock to me, although heavily modified.

The cuffs have been added later, as it also has the butonned straps on the sleeves.

The (upper) front pockets might have been re-sewn on under an angle.

The rear is a quilt like patchwork, with different coloured cloth, as compared to the sleeves. The front zipper has been altered to full length.

The buttons on the back of the collar are new to me

The DZ flashes, if original were first worn post-war. Labels are known to be reproduced.

Only good if accompanied with a (probably interesting, if real) provenance, otherwise I'm afraid it's rather a strange hodgepodge. Hope you didn't pay a lot.

Fougasse1940

It was a whopping $10 at the local flea market. The seller looked like he had either hit an estate sale or (more likely) bought an abandoned storage locker. There were some bits and pieces that suggested there may have been an American army officer's junk involved somewhere along the way.

I know nothing about Dennison's as such, but the arm patches look to be nylon, which I think a pretty unlikely material for such things. With all the other odd additions, I'd wonder whether it hasn't been played with by a theatrical costumer or movie type (or a semi-informed amateur) trying for a certain "look" and not very concerned with historical accuracy.

My two cents worth.

Peter

I know nothing about Dennison's as such, but the arm patches look to be nylon, which I think a pretty unlikely material for such things. With all the other odd additions, I'd wonder whether it hasn't been played with by a theatrical costumer or movie type (or a semi-informed amateur) trying for a certain "look" and not very concerned with historical accuracy.

My two cents worth.

Peter

$10 is a sympathetic price for any smock, even this one. As far as the arm patches go, they are called Drop Zone flashes, they were made of ribbon, linnen, felt and various fabrics, according to Charles A. Edwards' Drop Zone flashes of the British Airborne forces p. 16. Variations existed because of local procurement. Their size is listed as 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch.

The only problem with these specific flashes is that they were worn from 1961 onwards, and I think this type of smock was replaced in 1957 by the 1957 pattern Denison smock, which had a different coloured camouflage print. See ebay object number 250056389616 for an example.

The cuffs and full-length zipper could have been officers alterations, the back could have been torn and repaired?

The smock has enough original details to exclude the possibility of being tinkered with by costumers, the most significant oddity is the different panels on the rear, now why would a costumer do that if he/she has an original smock to start with?

The only movie smocks I'm aware of were those made specifically for A Bridge Too Far, and they were of a much better overall quality than this one.

It would be interesting to see additional photos of the front laid out flat, and the inside of the front and rear.

Fougasse1940.

• 10 months later...

By the looks of the tailoring it has been slashed by the QM when binned on replacement and someone has rescued it. It couldn't have been just standard Guard best tailoring as its too haphazard. the DZ flashes are interesting if real. Do you want to let it go? I'm interested. I'm Ex Airborne Fusilier & 7 Para RHA

By the looks of the tailoring it has been slashed by the QM when binned on replacement and someone has rescued it. It couldn't have been just standard Guard best tailoring as its too haphazard. the DZ flashes are interesting if real. Do you want to let it go? I'm interested. I'm Ex Airborne Fusilier & 7 Para RHA

Already sold it, I'm afraid.