News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Non-combatant bars are difficult to find!

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Chinese Order of the Double Dragon. 

Interesting combination, which puzzle me, 'cause I thought this class of the Chinese order is for higher ranking. Beside this, no long service decoration, no further awards...

BR, 

Chris 

6 hours ago, seeheld said:

I'm in doubt about this medal bar.

Better pictures from the China-Medal and the claps are needed.

Best regards

Seeheld

Agreed.  Please show some more photos!  The reverse and underneath.  And close-ups. 

• 3 months later...
    On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:15, Gensui said:

Gents,

Let me allow to share my little piece of a non-combat frack bar.

I'm wondering if there will be any identification possible...? :whistle:

BR, Chris

Wonderful bar Chris!

Naval related....Doctor?  He was certainly an Officer that should be found in the 1910 Rolls.  But without cross-tabulating award rolls I'm not sure how you can find him.  You would have to get lucky and "stumble" across the right candidate you was in China and with WWI service.

:thumbup:

16 hours ago, Claudius said:

Wonderful bar Chris!

Naval related....Doctor?  He was certainly an Officer that should be found in the 1910 Rolls.  But without cross-tabulating award rolls I'm not sure how you can find him.  You would have to get lucky and "stumble" across the right candidate you was in China and with WWI service.

:thumbup:

I would agree- naval related. But a medical? I am missing any Red Cross related items. But how about a Paymaster, naval official, Feuerwerker...?

The problem is, that thiis medal bar has nothing unique, which would allow me to track it...

BR, Chris

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

My favourite thread on the forum - perhaps it is time to add a few decorations which have not yet been shown in here.

First up: Saxe-Altenburg Herzog Ernst Medaille mit Bandschleife 1914. 

Number of awards: 1091 (710 to males).

IMG_20181222_110454.jpg

IMG_20181222_110518.jpg

Saxe-Meiningen Medaille für Verdienst im Kriege am Nichtkämpferband

Number of Awards: 326 (Rick Lundstrom’s rolls)

IMG_20181222_110841.jpg

IMG_20181222_110900.jpg

Hesse-Darmstadt Militärsanitätskreuz 1914 am Nichtkämpferband

Number of Awards: Unknown, but certainly rarer than its counterpart awarded on the ‘kriegsband’.

IMG_20181222_110549.jpg

IMG_20181222_110715.jpg

Waldeck Friedrich-Bathildis Medaille

Number of Awards: Figures vary. It seems undisputed that a total of 375 medals were manufactured, but the actual number awarded is variously cited as 306, 313 or 315. Awards to males (who are most likely to have worn decorations on a bar) are cited as either 140 or 141. 

This particular example is an original award piece, with the designer’s name (R. Kowarzik) under the bust. Due to the medal’s inconvenient suspension (akin to that of Baden’s Verdienstmedaille), spangenstueck versions of this medal with a normal ring suspension can be found.

IMG_20181222_110746.jpg

IMG_20181222_110804.jpg

Oldenburg Rote Kreuz Medaille & Schwarzburg Anna Luisen Verdienstzeichen

Number of Awards: Various numbers are given for the former, ranging from the low double figures (implausible considering the number seen on the market) to the low hundreds. Awards of the Anna-Luisen Verdienstzeichen stand at 215.

I believe I have shown this bar before on the forum, but the pictures seem to have disappeared.

IMG_20181222_111103.jpgIMG_20181222_111130.jpg

Edited by redeagleorder

I like the Waldeck bar but the price was really crazy.

Note that normally the war aid cross war worn on pos. 2. - not 3.  - your location is Malta - are you Wolf of the W.A.F.?

I am nearly sure, that the shown Frackspange of Gensui was worn by a marine guy - and a Ingenieur (officier´s grade)

It fits with the HHC and the Oldenburger on combatant ribbon. I think no paymaster - i`ve seen a lot of that guys with AEZ silver or bronce and sometimes with KO4 because they started as Mannschaftsgrad.

The most IC non combatant bars were worn by military officials and industrial guys -  not by medics. (only if they served on the home front)

Markus B. has a lot of navy data.

Edited by ixhs

18 hours ago, ixhs said:

I like the Waldeck bar but the price was really crazy.

Note that normally the war aid cross war worn on pos. 2. - not 3.  - your location is Malta - are you Wolf of the W.A.F.?

I am nearly sure, that the shown Frackspange of Gensui was worn by a marine guy - and a Ingenieur (officier´s grade)

It fits with the HHC and the Oldenburger on combatant ribbon. I think no paymaster - i`ve seen a lot of that guys with AEZ silver or bronce and sometimes with KO4 because they started as Mannschaftsgrad.

The most IC non combatant bars were worn by military officials and industrial guys -  not by medics. (only if they served on the home front)

Markus B. has a lot of navy data.

Hello ixhs,

Yes the Waldeck bar's price was a bit stiff - I wasn't prepared to go much higher. However, it's the first Friedrich Bathildis Medaille I have ever seen for sale mounted in my years of collecting non-combatant bars, and was thus a 'must have'. A lot of non-combatant awards founded by various Imperial German states during World War 1 are priced in catalogues and price guides in a manner that in no way reflects their true rarity. 

With regards to your second point, I imagine that due to the very limited numbers awarded (for context, a Great War Pour le Merite is twice as common) the vast majority of awarded Friedrich Bathildis Medailles went to native Waldeckers. I thus do not find it strange that it is mounted before the Kreuz fur Kriegshilfdienst on the bar. 

No I am not 'Wolf' on the Wehrmacht Awards Forum - I did not even know of his existence until you mentioned him.

Although I am sure that it is no more than a typo on your part, the Oldenburg Friedrich August Kreuz on the medal bar shown here by Gensui (which is by the way a very nice specimen) is actually mounted on the non-combatant ribbon.

On 27/12/2018 at 19:07, Paul R said:

Beautiful bars.  I love the medals sewn onto the ribbon bar.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your comment - one of my favourite medal bars too ?

I neglected to mention in my post that the medal bar must have belonged to a female doctor or nurse, as the Schwarzburg award was only awarded to women. It is indeed strangely mounted - a factor I ascribe either to the wearer being 'unwilling' for reasons unknown to wear a court-mounted medal bar as men did, or perhaps the difficulty of court-mounting the two centre medals due to their high oval shape.

On 22/12/2018 at 19:21, Stogieman said:

Wonderful bars!

Thank you Stogieman - much appreciated!

Edited by redeagleorder