News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just came accross a picture with an interesting little medal bar, yet, after thinking and thinking I am not able to figure out what medal he wears on the middle position of his medal bar. any help?

[attachmentid=58760]

Of course the first position would be the Kriegerverdienstmedaille 2nd class in Silver, last Prussia: Crown order medal.

Edited by medalnet

Hmm, I know I've seen this portrait/medal before, but I cannot remember exactly what it was. Looking threw the OEK, I found No 1315, the Mecklenburg-Schwerin medal for Africa 1907/08 ...

Might be this one? Would also match very nice to the Kriegerverdienstmedaille, and no SWA medal es he might have been anywhere else in Africa and got just the 1912 Kolonialdenkm?nze he has not yet the picture is taken.

Here a picture of the Mecklenburg medal.

[attachmentid=58911]

Looks good to me. The ribbon was white with light blue yellow and reddish stripes, so would fit the color scheme on the black and white picture as well.

So, anybody figured out which proud soldier this could be?

That is quite interesting as well. I was just blown away when I saw this one. He must be some kind of NCO rank, holding the sword IOD89 in his hand. I am sure there are not many local folks that got even one medal. He is wearing his with justified pride.

Can someone enlighten me as to why it would be a M-S medal? Would he have been with a Mechlanberg unit there, or had a commander who was from M-S?

I'm curious about how that would come about.

Also what is the name on the Mutzenband?

Great photo, if if could only talk.....

Dan

Edited by Daniel Cole

Can someone enlighten me as to why it would be a M-S medal? Would he have been with a Mechlanberg unit there, or had a commander who was from M-S?

I'm curious about how that would come about.

Also what is the name on the Mutzenband?

Great photo, if if could only talk.....

Dan

The medal is for the "German Scientific Central African Expedition under the Leadership of Adolf Friedrich Duke of Mecklenburg 1907/08". Presumably he participated in the expedition, perhaps as chief of a security detail.

Adolf Friedrich Herzog zu Mecklenburg was the great-uncle of the reigning grand duke, Friedrich Franz IV, even though he was only 8 1/2 years older than him (Friedrich Franz II had had a lot of kids over a lot of years with three wives). Duke Adolf Friedrich led two Central African expeditions, in 1907-08 and 1910-11. He was governor of Togoland from 1912-14. Besides a cavalry and an artillery regiment, he was a la suite to the Schutztruppen. He was president of the German Olympic Committee from 1949 to 1951.

• 1 month later...

Can you tell what the ship is (based on the sailor's cap talley)? Sorry, I can't read it. The photo seems to be post-1901 to pre-1911.

Nice and rare picture Medalnet. Congratulations.

But those 3 black soldiers are members of the policetroop of Togo and the picture was taken around 1914.

The left policeman is a "Unteroffizier"

The right policeman is a "Gefreiter"

The decorated policeman could be a "Vize-Feldwebel" or a "Feldwebel". unfortunately we can not identify the insignias.

A lovely picture. :love:

All the best

Leutwein

Interesting photo. Nice to see one of the "locals" getting a few gongs from the Fatherland. My favorite shot is of a former Askari, wearing his EK 2 and a British MM from WW2. Can't remember where I saw that one.

I would love to see that picture!