News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wound Badge "20 July 1944"

Here is a wound badge "20 July 1944", as displayed in the Imperial War Museum in London.

There is no detail about its attribution.

I've read (or been told) that it could be a copy. What do you think ? Any additional info about this theory ?

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

• 1 month later...
    Guest Darrell

The case looks a little too large if anything. In Angolia's "For Fuhrer and Fatherland" there is a good picture of Hitler awarding the badges to some of the recipients on Aug 20th. The case Keitel is holding appears to be nio larger than that for a regular wound badge.

Edited by Darrell

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for the comment. I thought this thread was lost somewhere in space :Cat-Scratch: ...

I don't know what to think about the box. I unfortunately don't know the picture you are referring to. Maybe you could post it here ? The one shown in the IWM is similar to another one I have seen in a russian book. Exactly the same. But these two boxes are in many points different from the one Detlev Niemann shows in his Price catalog (pages 555 - 556). Don't know what to think ? :unsure:

Ch.

Hi Jef,

For my information, where did you get this color copy? I have already seen it in B&W (in Detlev Niemann's book) but not in color...

Cheers.

Ch.

Hello Christophe,

I got it from a friend, who has several items. In this way, I know it's a fake. But what a fake!!! A golden bird... and a 3D stamp in the left undercorner.

kind regards,

Jef

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Here is a wound badge "20 July 1944", as displayed in the Imperial War Museum in London.

There is no detail about its attribution.

I've read (or been told) that it could be a copy. What do you think ? Any additional info about this theory ?

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Hello Christophe,

After looking at the pictures that you have posted and checking out William E. Hamelmans` book "German Wound Badges" pages 59-61, in my opinion, and what is pictured and written in Williams` book, this badge is a cast copy. Also in my opinion the case is also to big for the badge.

Best Wishes,

Justinkase

Hello Christophe,

After looking at the pictures that you have posted and checking out William E. Hamelmans` book "German Wound Badges" pages 59-61, in my opinion, and what is pictured and written in Williams` book, this badge is a cast copy. Also in my opinion the case is also to big for the badge.

Best Wishes,

Justinkase

Thanks Justin for the comment. I was quite sure now it is not a real one; your precision goes in the same direction.

I will ask the IWM about it.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Ch.

This fake comes in two versions. One is die struck in real silver, measuring 45mm x 37mm and weighing 37gr. The other is cast, probably using the same die struck version as a "master" and isn't realsilver. It weighs30gr and measures just 43mm x 36mm. Even though the difference in size between the cast and die struck fakes is slight, it is enough to be visible.