News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Although they are not part of the British nor commonwealth police, I could not find a better place in the forum to ask about these early handcuffs. They were given to me in Belgium in 1958 as "old hancuffs" and I have had them since the age of 12. I guess that this kind of equipment must have been common to several police forces so wonder if someone could help me with information as to the probable date of use.

Eduardo

Eduardo - this is a garotte. Whoever gave you it probably said it was a "restraint'. The handles are grasped in each hand with the rope running between the index and middle fingers. It is then slipped around the persons neck from behind then your hands are crossed over, it can be done in less than one second. The knots are placed so that the inner two come on each side of the windpipe and the outer two nearest the handles line up with the carotid artery. When pressure is applied you can imagine the result. Too much pressure or too long results in death. These were used to "take out" sentries quickly and quietly, the only difference was that instead of rope, piano wire was used.

Thanks Dave for your answer. Our last Inca, "Atahualpa" was killed by the men of Francisco Pizarro using garrote. It sounds horrible. None the less I think this piece could not have been for garrote because it is too short. It can go arround the wrist at the most. When my brother and myself were young we tried it a few times and really hurts.

Eduardo

If its only 20cm you are right. It would have to be about 50cm long to be used as I explained. This would probably be used as you said around a wrist. It would only be used as a temporary device, for example if an unruly demonstrator was being arrested and marched toward a police van with one arm twisted behind his back, pressure would be used to persuade them to "come-along". There is a list of simple devices that are used as "come-alongs" that use the threat of pain to ensure cooperation but don't do permanent damage.

Yes Dave and thank you. As I said we used it a few times to play arround and when you twist the handles the knots go in between your wrist bones and can realy hurt.

I guess they were used during late XIX and early XX century but don't realy know.

Eduardo

Edited by Eduardo