News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This group came in today. Its a Group consisting of three awards with Documents. There is a nice Red Star, nr. 580.534, a Medal for Valor Nr. 1.228.393 and a Order of the Great Patriotic War 2nd class (85er issue). Red Star and Valor Medal are documented in an order book, 1946 issue, the OGPW has an own document, of course.

Sweet little group. I love it beer.gifjumping.gif

Edited by Gerd

Guest Rick Research

Soooo, TWO 1944 awards...

could be enlisted man,

could be officer

research? Can't research EVERYTHING...

but what if...

wacko.gif

Soooo, TWO 1944 awards...

could be enlisted man,

could be officer

research? Can't research EVERYTHING...

but what if...

wacko.gif

Yeah, that crossed my mind as well. I think, i will let it research too, but not yet.

Btw, there is still some dirt on the hammer&Sickel on the Red-Star. I wonder, where that comes from. And the Medal for Valor is very worn. I would love to know, what he had as well.

Is it possible to find out, which Commemorative Medals he might have had?

jumping.gif

Edited by Gerd

Guest Rick Research

You mean like 1975 Jubilee and all those? No. But the Award Record Card will show any WW2 campaign medals.

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Ukrainian peasant class "Kholkoznik" Vladimir Korneevich Raevsky was born in 1910 in Makievka, Varvinsky Raion, Chernigrsky Oblast. Primary education. Communist Party 1944. Red Army June 1941 to September 1945.

Starshina (Sergeant Major) of 1st Company, 353rd Independent Sapper Battalion, 196th Rifles Division.

Bravery Medal 1,228,393 issued by decree of 196th Rifles Div 26.1.44, and Red Star by same per 8.3.44. Award Record Card filled out 19.8.46 by Varvinsky Raion VetCom-- he was back in Makievka on the collective farm again.

Also held Medals for Defense of Stalingrad and Defense of Leningrad.

Gerd-- yu've put the reverse of the Red Star citation in BOTH #14 and #17. Those are the final approvals signed off by commanding officer parts.

Rick,

do you know why he got no medal "For the Victory over Germany". Every soldier who served three month in the army got these medal. Due to bureaucratic reasons or just forgot him?

Why are the medals for Defence of Stalingrad and Leningrad not mentioned in his award card?

thanks and best regards

Andreas

Nice research Gerd, thanks for posting it tongue.gif

Guest Rick Research

It's just not LISTED by the local Veteran's Commisariat-- or because he was already discharged, he hadn't received one yet by then. His "Defense" medals aren't listed on the Award Record Card, but ARE on his citations. Normally ARC campaign medals simply list them by creation date anyway, so probably simply overlooked by the civilian authority.

Now for the Valor Medal citation--

The top shows, despite service from "June 1941" on, that he took part in the Finnish Campaign from 8 January to 12 March 1940 AND the "liberation" of Bessarabia (slicing Rumanian territory off into the Ukraine) 12 to 17 September 1940, and then 10 June to 18 October 1942 on the Stalingrad front, from 22 April to 7 September 1943 on the Leningrad front, and from 10 January 1944 on the Baltic front. There were only 800 men in this division left alive at Stalingrad in September 1942!

Valor Medal citation--

"13-14 January 1944 after a completed 50 kilometer march, Starshina Raevsky, without {can't read word} and {delivery?} distinguished {can't read word} military assignment for construction of an observation post for the Commander of Artillery 2 (Height 105.7 city of Kolokol'nya) for {can't read two words--carrying something} and {can't read three words--cutting down/carpentry something} 300 {can't read word} under enemy machine gun and mortar fire.

16 January 1944 fulfilled a military assignment by constructing a mine in front of the foremost {can't read word} of defense of the 48th Independent Miners And Sappers Battalion [editorial aside-- one wonders why THEY couldn't do that, themselves!] and {can't read word} in cutting-off fire {can't read word} displayed courage and valor. Always in times of {can't read word} personal leadership of the company {can't read two words}. Deserves to be awarded the Medal 'For Valor."

18 January 1944, Commander 353rd Indep Sap Btn Major 'Katlyachnov' "

This citation makes it sound as if Sergeant-Major Ravesky was the company commander!!!

in process folks... lots of scribbly translation to retype back and forth!

Guest Rick Research

The Red Star citation is considerably more difficult for me to decipher, and will take a lot of work filling in gaps, so if anybody with better vision wants to run though these, by all means!...

".... 16 & 17 February Starshina Ravesky Vladimir Korneevich... ... participated in ...of his platoon in ... across ............. infantry and light artillery of the 196th Rifles Division---

20-30 meters from the enemy, under intense {2 words cannot read} and sniper fire {can't read...} Starshina Raevsky {.....} company...

Deserves the State Order 'Red Star'

20 February 1944, Commander Indep Sap Btn 353 Major 'Katlyachnov'

Approved 11 March 1944, Commander 196th Rifles Div 'Ratov' "

And here HE was, thanks to Steen Ammentorp:

[attachmentid=10697]