News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orders and Medals of the Naval and Maritime Museum

The Naval and Maritime Museum (Museo Naval y Maritimo) occupies since 1967 part of a building that was the Naval school.

The building was inaugurated in March, 1893, as the seat of the Naval School, by the President of the Republic of Chile, Admiral Jorge Montt.

Are several rooms dedicated to General Bernardo O'Higgins, Founder of the Homeland, who created the first National Fleet; the events of the war with Spain; the cript "Loor of Chile", with evidences and relevant figures of the War of the Pacific; the great room dedicated to the most prominent chilean naval hero, Commander Arturo Prat; several other Admirals....

There are, of course, many many orders and medals displayed, hence my visit... and this thread for a discovery tour of not so often seen awards. :beer:

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

The Crypt to the Loor of Chile

This room has the characteristic of a shrine, with the paitings of 27 heroes of the War of the Pacific. Many oif them heroically died on the naval combat of Iquique, and others survived.

Ch.

Room Arturo Prat

Arturo Prat (1848-1879) was the captain of the corvette "Esmeralda", one of the ships that blockaded Iquique during the War against Spain. On the morning of the 21 May 1879, the chilean ships confronted the peruvian ships "Huascar" and "Independencia". Commander Prat boardered the "Huascar", dying in action on the deck. He is considered as the greatest hero in the Naval History of Chile.

At the center of the room, on the ceiling is the large chilean flag hoisted by the "Esmeralda" in the combat of Papudo.

Ch.

Lovely photos, Christophe!

On the Admiral's fruit salad I notice two different devices - a coat of arms? and an anchor - added to a number of ribbons each. Do these indicate multiple awards, the grade of the warrds or something else?

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I have noticed this... but have no clue what they are :( .

Ch.