News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please post your OPW 2nd classes

Gentlemen,

i know, its a common award, but though, may i ask you to post the OPW 2nd classes in your collection for my education and enjoyment? Noticing that i have more than a dozen of them now, it seems i have a weakness for them.

Most of you know, i am one of these evil variations-collectors ;) and i have quite a few variations together now, but still would like to add some more, so if anyone of your has a "small version" or a trench-reverse for sale, shoot me a pm.

The most of mine are already posted on the forum, but to get the ball rolling, i?ll post again my current favourite piece, an starback Serialnumber 95477, researched, awarded May 1944 to Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Stepanovich Zolin, see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11140

• Replies 118
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an overwhelming response... :cheeky:

For Andreas and everyone else, who is interested.

This is the first one, we talked about on the phone, a nice early example, which isn?t classiefied in the Alex Filer Classification yet, like it seems. Nr. 101.270, unresearched yet.

Obverse:

Hey Soviet -Very intersting pin back version. Goes to show that not all the russians were too keen on piercing their clothes to wear their awards. Is the screwback sawed or shortened. Seems cumbersome / uncomfortable to wear pinned with the screwback still fully intact.

Always nice to see the 1985 commemorative GPW2 next to the original earlier issues. Although a solid order I really feel that the 1985 GPWs lacks a certain quality .... particularly if we compare early and 1985 first classes. Of course with mass production for 1985 commemoration its inevetible that the quality suffers.

My question is as follows. The 1985 is purely a commemoritave award. Assuming a situation of a post 1985 catch up award for combat actions in WW2.... would the recipient receive 1985 version + award booklet or would they receive an earlier award. Of course at first glance the order is still an order. But I still think that a recipient of a combat award would of course look at the commemorative 85 issue through a slightly different lens.

Jim

OK, I have to admit that, after recent experiences, I am a bit "gun-shy" about posting anything at all over here. But since it is Gerd asking -- and he asked very nicely :P -- here goes:

The OPW 2 to Lieutenant General Ivan Ivanov Kravchenko -- see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6207 and http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8627&st=02 -- # 409128, awarded 15 July 1945 (52nd Army). Have recommendation, on the above-cited thread, but as yet untranslated :( .

So, have at me; I have my flak jacket on. :unsure:

More to come when retrieved from storage.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Ed, thats a beautiful example and you have nothing to worry about, its absolutely original. It has a nice Brass Hammer&Sickel, there are two theories (I know, you don?t like theories, but i?ll mention them though), why some OPW?s have Brass Hammer&Sickel. Some say,these were "trench-shop" replacements for lost Gold H&S and others say, these were done like this in the mint, when they ran out of Gold ones. Either way, an interesting piece with a great patina.

Jim, as far as i know, they would be awarded a WW2 version, if available. But i have seen 1985 versions awarded for WW2 action, but i don?t know, if they were legit or not. At least i have seen 1985 OPW Duplicates for WW2 versions, so i?d say, the first mentioned case is possible too.

Thanks, gentlemen :beer:

Gerd

Hello Gerd and Jim.

Thanks for your comment. First of all I was happy to get this small lot, but I will never buy again from the dealer I bought it from. It took him almost 2 months after my payment, before he sent it to me. The guy was too busy! Funny that he had time to answer some of my e-mails.

I will not proceed to a research right now, but will surely do it in the future.

Jim, I don?t know what the difference would be between sawed or shortened as for me if it is sawed, it is also shortened. :) It seems that the screwpost was cut and then polish.

Is it true that all Great Patriotic War combat that was alive in 1985 received one of those OGPW?

Soviet

Well sawed off is sawed off (although i really meant completely sawed off or partially sawed off i.e shortened with part of original thread remaining :cheeky:) .... But shortened could be anything else really ...broken off, screwback pulled off or removed from the weld etc etc. With home made conversions u can never really say..... However seeing it an at an angle is different. Thanks for posting the last pic.

As far as I know surviving vets of the GPW received an 1985 OGPW. I am not sure what the criteria was for deciding on 1st or 2nd class award.... can anyone throw any light pls?

Jim

Thanks Gerd,

I would have expected as much. I'd admit (as a collector though!!) that I'd be more than slightly peeved off to receive the same commemorative award to million others when my citation was for combat action!!

Of course, lets be honest..... if I lived through the tough life that some awardees lived through in post war Russia , then maybe worrying about which variation I was awarded might really be the last thing on my mind....!!!

Jim

Thanks everyone for your contributions :cheers:

Ed, you have some wonderful examples there. If you are interested to hear, where the particular pieces were produced(ie. Krasnokamsk Mint, Leningrad Mint), just let me know. But thats probably only interesting for variations-nerds like me :cheeky:

Bryan, definately let us know, what the research brings for this group.

Its true, every veteran, who was still alive in 1985, received such an OGPW. At least every veteran was authorized, but i doubt, that really everyone got one.

Jim, i agree, they had more serious problems than to worry about the variation, they got.

Here is another one of mine, a nice starback Nr. 146.113, researched to Iosif Egorovich Soloviev, awarded for action on the Crimea in 1944, see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10282

Ed, you have some wonderful examples there. If you are interested to hear, where the particular pieces were produced(ie. Krasnokamsk Mint, Leningrad Mint), just let me know. But thats probably only interesting for variations-nerds like me :cheeky:

Actually, Gerd, I always like to have the maximum information possible, so, please . . . ????

Actually, Gerd, I always like to have the maximum information possible, so, please . . . ????

Allright then... Don?t say, i didn?t warn you ;)

Nr. 409128 is an LMD(Leningrad Mint) "concave reverse" piece observed S/N-range lowest 407001, highest 480590

Nr. 714487 is a KMD (Krasnokamsk Mint) "flatback" example, observed S/N-range lowest 680669, highest 758394

Nr. 116666 is an interesting example, its most probably a LMD made "concave revese".

Nr. 109370 is the same variation like 116666, observed S/N-range for the last both pieces is lowest 100913, highest 133548

491888 is a KMD piece "flatback", observed S/N-range lowest 482705, highest 496733

(source www.soviet-screwbacks.com )