News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please post your OPW 2nd classes

• Replies 118
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the confirmation of these pieces - any explinations for the production of the 'starback' and the 'displaced ring'?

They are just variations, Charles, different makers, slightly different production methods, i suppose. Yours is btw, (congrats :beer: ) the new lowest observed number. Former lowest observed was 180.195 :jumping:

QUOTE(Gerd Becker @ Jul 11 2007, 14:52 ) Come on, guys, there must be more out there.

Be careful, when you stick them together in a box, they breed speechless1.gif

Hi all,

As Gerd says... they tend to breed. Here's a group shot which includes my 1st's (hope ya'll don't mind):

I actually did a few of these in reverse order by accident but basically the top three from left to right are 85 issues, then a WWII 1st.

Next row is a WWII 2nd followed by an original/fake. It's been posted before as it was previously owned by Order of Victory who was gracious enough to make a gift of it to me along with other pieces over time (Thanks my friend! cheers.gif ). It's a WWII issue but has been "converted" to a type 1 variation 3. A shame as we'll now never know the original history. But all in all a very nice display piece until I can get an original (knock on wood).

Next row are my 2nd class 85's and last but not least a couple of rows of Umalatova 2nds.

And I figured I'd pop in a couple of shots of the converted 2nd in it's case that I made for it. It was a case I got along with several Bulgarian cases, all with blank exteriors (no incriptions). I'd seen pics of an original 2nd t 1 v 3 cased in what looked like an identical case so decided to copy it. So with a bit of felt, white ribbon for the pull tab, light cardboard and a few minutes to cut it all out and fit it this is what I ended up with:

Not half bad if I say so myself. I really think it looks great cased. And for those purists out there, not to worry. In about a 10th of a second I pull out the base and the case is just as it was... nothing ruined or permanently altered. biggrin.gif

So there's the family... ever growing... breeding like rabbits. tongue.gifbeer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Edited by Hauptman

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

I am a bit reluctant to post this piece because it has a replacement suspension and the prong on the reverse is missing. Perhaps it is one of those unfortunates that were converted to a screw back and then back to suspension. Yes, there is also some enamel repair.