News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pretty scarce wound badges...

Here is a 1939 second type badge that I have had in my collection for awhile - apparently a brass "black" class intended to look like a gold class (although no traces of black paint remain as detectable to the eye). Note the round needle pin flattened with a twist in the middle. Perhaps a private purchase, as Don has mentioned above.

Anyone seen one like this? Is it legit?

Thanks, John

Edited by John Burchell

I would ay badge is real.The center has been cut out.I would say home made.

Never seen one like it before.Maybe like trech art.Someone has spent some time on this one.

If you wish to sell someday let me know

don

Edited by don

Guest WAR LORD

In David Littlejohns collection there was a gold as shown. The hinge and c catch were more as the normal. There is a couple of good photos of the type being worn.

John

look at the badge and see if the center part was some how cut out .There should be some sharp edges.

If it was factory stamped the edges in the center should be smother

thanks

don Ps Chris can you show the pictures?

Edited by don

No problem with your asking for additional clarification on details, Don. Perhaps I, as much as you, would like this to turn out to be a rare one. I do not have the knowledge of WBs that you do, but would say I believe it to have been stamped-out, as the edges on the inside and around the sword handles are not sharp or jagged.

If you require more details or pictures to help make a determination, just ask and I'll respond as best I and my scanner/digital camera can.

Should both you and I make it to the next militaria show in Etobicoke on March 24th/07, I hope that we can meet in person when I will introduce you to this baby and let you be the judge.

John

Sure is a nice item.Like I stated if you ever wish to let it go keep me in mind.

I wonder if there are any records of any makers that did make this type.

John is the judge at this point and I am sure he could tell if someone had been playing

with it. :beer: Now lets move on with another rare type.The chaplains wound badge.

First...No special wound badge was produced for chaplains or priests,none.This badge

was made AFTER the war by monks to suport their monastery.Here is a example of the badge.

This is not mine nor have I ever seen one.The only problem I have had with it is how

do you know you got one made by the monks.They do go for a good buck

Hello John and Don

Yes I have seen one before but don?t remember where.

To me it looks like an original black wb in brass/tombak

The badge have been customised some where in time,

It looks from the pictures that the hinge and catch have been

Moved to the edges of the badge, looks like there are some solder

around the hinge/catch. If it was gold plated the solder would be plated to.

There are some mistakes in the cutting, look at the right grip of the sword

IMO the badge are reworked wartime and I wouldn?t mind to have

It in my collection.

Very nice variant

Cheers,

Ronny

I would agree, Ronny, that the badge is a period one that was re-worked/customised at some point in time. There is indeed solder where the hinge and retaining clasp are located and the badge does not appear to have been gold-plated/gilded.

Thanks very much to you and Don for your comments.

Regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Don,

The so called Chaplian's wound badge used to appear somewhat irregulalry at shows and in auctions. Now a days I have yet to see one. As you mentioned they were prodced after the war by monks and, if I recall correctly, were gifts given to individuals who donated money to repair the ???? monastary that was damaged in the war (I can not recall which specific monastary it was). The one you picture is nice with the silver cross. Mine has a black cross but unfortunately the pin is missing.

Gary B

Don,

Thanks for the info. I have Hamelman's book, but it has been a whil since I read it. What are the badges going for? I bought mine decades ago and it conforms to known pieces.

Gary

Kloster Weingarten near Boden lake.Sold to pilgrims visiting the monstery. Info from Hamelman book.

They are going big bucks,so I would want to make sure you got one made by the monks.

don