News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gablonze made Iron Crosses

Presently is there any way to identify an 1939 Iron Cross made by the Gablonze method?

If there isn't I propose that an Iron Cross that is in it's original state of issue that has evidence of burnishing was made by the standard method of stamping out the frame using sheet metal. The absense of burnishing is from using the Gablonze method which at least in Bowen's book "The Prussian and German Iron Cross" suggest the the high sheen that resulted made it un-necessary to burnish.

I have two EK2's and 2 Ek1, both appear to have not been burnish, but may have been polished afterwards by somebody after issue.

The Ek1's one "26" B.H. Mayer, and a "L/56" Funcke and Bruninghaus The later has burnishing marks but the former does not suggesting perhaps that Meyer who did produce many EK's may have used the Gablonzes method whereas the Funcke and Brunninghaus was a small contractor and did not have access to the technology.

I know looking a 4 EK's does not confirm the theory, it would take looking at many different makers and many samples of those makers to make a determination, but it could be a interesting project.

For those who are not familiar as to what to look for, look at the picture below.

Edited by coastie

I agree that the EK2s made by the Gablonzer method do not tend to show evidence of burnishing. They also tend to lack the "white" frosting to the inner part of the frame. I've had mint unissued Gablonzer type specimens without frosting. The pressing process leaves the ribbed inner frame slightly coarser in finish to the outer flange in any case, giving a contrasting appearance.

Bear in mind that some firms may have used traditional methods before the introduction of the Gablonzer process so you may find both traditional and Gablonzer styles crosses with the same maker mark.

Presently is there any way to identify an 1939 Iron Cross made by the Gablonze method?

If there isn't I propose that an Iron Cross that is in it's original state of issue that has evidence of burnishing was made by the standard method of stamping out the frame using sheet metal. The absense of burnishing is from using the Gablonze method which at least in Bowen's book "The Prussian and German Iron Cross" suggest the the high sheen that resulted made it un-necessary to burnish.

I have two EK2's and 2 Ek1, both appear to have not been burnish, but may have been polished afterwards by somebody after issue.

The Ek1's one "26" B.H. Mayer, and a "L/56" Funcke and Bruninghaus  The later has burnishing marks but the former does not suggesting perhaps that Meyer who did produce many EK's may have used the Gablonzes method whereas the Funcke and Brunninghaus was a small contractor and did not have access to the technology.

I know looking a 4 EK's does not confirm the theory, it would take looking at many different makers and many samples of those makers to make a determination,  but it could be a interesting project.

For those who are not familiar as to what to look for, look at the picture below.

I agree that the EK2s made by the Gablonzer method do not tend to show evidence of burnishing. They also tend to lack the "white" frosting to the inner part of the frame. I've had mint unissued Gablonzer type specimens without frosting. The pressing process leaves the ribbed inner frame slightly coarser in finish to the outer flange in any case, giving a contrasting appearance.

Bear in mind that some firms may have used traditional methods before the introduction of the Gablonzer process so you may find both traditional and Gablonzer styles crosses with the same maker mark.

Thanks Gordon

Nothing is ever simple is it? I suspect it would be difficult to determine which method was used by documented award pieces because of the vast numbers made, distribution, storage and such.

I've seen a lot of the "russian hoarde" Meyer EK1's on the internet but never one in person, are they burnished?

Also a question comes to mind, would manufacturers have used the standard method for making the LDO crosses as opposed to the Gablonze to give it a more personal touch?

Edited by coastie

The "26" EK1s from the Russian hoarde are burnished.

Thre Gablonzer method was available to all makers in the sense that the firm never patented the system and offered other makers the facility to use the process. However, that would still have entailed any maker wishing to change systems having to purchase new machinery. I suppose it would have depended on the numbers being manufactured. For one of the smaller firms only manufacturing them in small numbers it probably wouldn't have been cost effective to change processes. On the other hand major manufacturers like Steinhauer for whom it might have made sense, don't seem to have bothered.

• 2 years later...

Hi Gents;

A follow up to something started in 2005 .

Since this was first posted , has any more info turned up ?

Are there or does some one have pictures of a cross that had been made - using this Gablonzer Method ?? The picture I assume is Coastie's -unburnished- 26 .

Looked though many forums and found absolutely nothing . A small write up is all some one found, very general only .

Are they too difficult to identify from normal EK's ? Any traces of the coil wire ?

As mentioned - a small company would not go to all that trouble and cost .

Gorden W- does mention here that S&L did not bother with this process ? How is this known ?

How about some of the other large manufacturers: K&Q , Juncker , W&L, Deumer , BH Meyers, Zimmermann , or Hanauer Co-op etc .....

Coastie has a EK1 26 that shows these traits , that could identify one maker .

And the question too : was this ' cost saving ' method intended only for EK's , as there are many other awards ?

It sounds like some of these larger companies may have run a small batch at the Gablonzer Plant , ... all most like test driving a car before buying it !

Or : are we still to date looking at a "non collectible minor variation" , a manufacturing attempt that did not take off , ...

..... some what like VHS and BETA video recorders !

Regards , Douglas

• 7 years later...