News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great War unit ID

Hello,

Can anyone help me out with a unit ID?

The unit is NMDTASC and I have no idea what that is but I'm guessing at North Midland Division Territorial Army Service Corps, something I've never actually heard of and don't even know if they existed.

Any guesses, can anyone confirm my guess or do some of you actually know?

Tony

Hello Tony,

you could very well be right. Check out http://www.1914-1918.net/46div.htm "46th Divisional Train ASC (redesignated from the North Midland Divisional Train - itself made from the North Midland Transport and Supply Column. Composed of 451, 452, 453 and 454 Companies ASC)"

Also check out http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Hello Stuart,

I must admit I was hoping it was something a little more exotic, I only guessed North Midland because I have a medal group to a member of the 3/2 N. Midland Field Ambulance.

I just can't find any details about this NMDTASC man at the National Archives online which is very annoying. I do have the book 'Wait for the Waggon' so will have to dig it out and see if I can find anything else.

Thanks

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

North Midland Divisional Train Army Service Corps

Divisional Trains and Supply Columns were different units (my grandfather was in the 3rd Canadian Divisional Train 1916).

"North Midland Divisional Transport And Supply Column, ASC" I should have said - at least, that's what Ray Westlake states in "Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles".

He states that North Midland Divisional Transport And Supply Column, ASC contained:

North Midland Divisional Company, Lincoln and Leicester Brigade Company, Staffordshire Brigade Company and the Notts and Derby Brigade Company

• 4 months later...

What are his details?

Leigh, I must have somehow missed your post all those months ago, here are the details I have:

1106 A R Bailey; not a lot to go on is there.

I only have his ID disc which doesn?t give his rank but shows his unit as mentioned above - NMDT ASC.

I couldn?t find him on Soldiers Died or the CWGC site either so, presumably he survived.

Cheers

Tony

Baffled, the only 1106 A Bailey I found was Cape Coloured Labour Bn or similar.

It would be nice to find out that he spent some time attached to the ASC while up in the Midlands on holiday from the Cape Coloured Labour Bn.

• 3 weeks later...

Tony,

If your man A.R. Bailey was serving in a second line Territorial Force, A.S.C. unit then there is a good chance he may not have served overseas and therefore wouldn't have a Medal Index Card. Had he gone overseas with a first line unit he would have had two numbers on his MIC, one being '1106' and then a new number issued to all Territorial Force personnel as of 1917.

Graham.