News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austro Hungarian military document

Marcin L

Hello.

Today I have found an interesting Austro-Hungarian Army document. As I don't know German yet, please tell me anything about "Oberleutnant Sienkiewicz" who was probably the owner of this document.

Best regards,

Marcin Lewoszewski.

Pictures can be found here (one picture ~800kb so please be patient when opening):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Bonjour Marcin,

Your document appears to be dated 1858.

In the 1856 Schematismus, Oberlieutenant Heinrich Ritter von Sienkiewicz is listed in the Schematismus among the officers of Infanterie Regiment Nr.30, stationned at Lemberg :

IPB Image

In the 1850 Schematismus, Heinrich Siekiewicz (note yet another different spelling) was "Unterlieutenant 1. Classe" in the same Regiment.

In the 1848 Schematismus, Heinrich Sienkiewicz was "Cadet" in the same Regiment.

By that time, the Regiments were known by the name of their Oberstinhaber, or Proprietary Colonel.

For the IR30 it was "Lavall Graf Nugent, r?mischer F?rst, FM" (Feldmarschall), since...1815 !

LEMBERG is the German name for the Galician town also known as ...Lviv, L'vov, Lvov, L'wiw, Lwiw, Leopolis, Leopoli, or Lwow. Today in Ukraine.

Re. his title, this lifted from Wikipedia :

Ritter is the lowest-ranking title of lower nobility, in German-speaking areas, considered equal to the title Knight.

When used before the first name ("Ritter Manfred Richthofen"), it is the equivalent of chivalric titles in the English-speaking world, and so is directly equivalent to a knighthood.

When used with "von" as part of the surname ("Manfred Ritter von Richthofen"), it is an hereditary knighthood, and so is closer to the British baronetcy, which gives the holder the English title "Sir," but indicates the lowest grade of landed aristocracy ("Sir Henry Percy, Baronet"), an inherited title but one which does not entitle one to participation as a peer in the House of Lords for instance.

And I think that's about it from me !

Salutations,

J?r?me