News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My British Headdress Collection **RECOMMENDED**

The second helmet is a four panel, rather than the authorised six panel, version. It is not yet identified to a regiment but has the soldier's regimental number and name (Pte. G. Lowe) inked to the interior.

Note the corrugated cork ventilation between the headband and the helmet shell. This seems to have been used only in the so-called "Mediterranean Order."

For a discussion on four panel helmets see http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/2013/ ... ial-helmet

Stuart

The King’s Own Royal Regiment, the Norfolk Yeomanry was formed in May, 1901 by the direction of King Edward VII. During the period 1849 – 1901 Norfolk had no Yeomanry Regiment.

Prior to that the County of Norfolk Yeomanry had been known as the Norfolk Rangers, finally disbanded in 1849 and re-raised as the Norfolk (Norwich) Mounted Rifle Corps and in 1862 renamed the Norfolk (Norwich) Light Horse and disbanded in 1867. Some of the men joined the Suffolk Yeomanry as the Norfolk Squadron.

The Other Ranks helmet below was introduced in 1905 replacing a rather beautiful Colonial Pattern cork helmet which for officers had a royal blue puggaree and had twelve gold braid retainer loops evenly spaced around the puggaree.

Stuart Bates

Jerry,

I took a liking to the forage/pillbox caps and so went for it (them). I was tempted lately by sabretaches but the prices are way too high for me :o

Stuart

Hi Stuart, the early type forage caps really do look the part and I have yet to add one to my collection, though I have recently been picking up items from nearer that period, with a few WWI period examples and a Late victorian Glengarry for the the Welsh.

I noticed a couple of good looking Forage caps of this type on the bay recently, but not taken the plunge yet as the prices are a bit more than I am used to paying for headgear.

Edited by Jerry B

Hi Jerry,

I am interested in seeing the caps you have in mind, but be assured that I never bid against friends who have got there before me.

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks for the offer Stuart. At the moment I am holding back on the earlier caps, but if I decide to go for one I will contact you for your opinion.

• 3 weeks later...