News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My British Headdress Collection **RECOMMENDED**

On 31/01/2010 at 00:46, Stuart Bates said:

And another. These forage caps are among my favourite pieces of headgear. This one to the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment( Sherwood Foresters).

It has a beautiful blue enamelled badge.

This regiment was formed in 1881 with the 45th Regiment (Nottinghamshire) becoming the 1st Battalion and the 95th Regiment (Derbyshire) becoming the 2nd Battalion

3rd Battalion was formed from the Chatsworth Rifles, or 2nd Derbyshire Militia

4th Battalion was formed from the Royal Sherwood Foresters, or Nottinghamshire Militia

5th Battalion from the 1st Derbyshire Regiment of Militia

DerbyshireSherwoodForesters.jpg

On 31/01/2010 at 00:46, Stuart Bates said:

And another. These forage caps are among my favourite pieces of headgear. This one to the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment( Sherwood Foresters).

It has a beautiful blue enamelled badge.

This regiment was formed in 1881 with the 45th Regiment (Nottinghamshire) becoming the 1st Battalion and the 95th Regiment (Derbyshire) becoming the 2nd Battalion

3rd Battalion was formed from the Chatsworth Rifles, or 2nd Derbyshire Militia

4th Battalion was formed from the Royal Sherwood Foresters, or Nottinghamshire Militia

5th Battalion from the 1st Derbyshire Regiment of Militia

DerbyshireSherwoodForesters.jpg

It has been a while since I last posted and thought that I would share a recent acquisition. This cap, circa 1880, to a Colour-Sergeant of the Governor-General's Foot Guards - an Ottawa, Ontario based regiment, was found by a friend at an estate sale in Phoenix, Arizona. It was advertised as an "Eastern Star, Masonic Order Lad's Cap".  It shows that rare items can show up anywhere.

GGFG forage cap.jpg

Fascinating badge on that second cap!  I've never seen such a thing before but I suppose it makes sense, as presumably the GGFG could be supposed to represent or contain men from all the provinces then in Canada, though I notice PEI didn't make the cut.  Thanks for sharing.

GGFG IMG_9842a.jpg

The six points of the Star represents the provinces of Canada at the time of the Regiment's formation - 1872.  This is the first time I had seen this badge so large as it was a common collar badge.

Edited by servicepub