News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Insignia help.

[attachmentid=61143]The reason i ask is because of this photo.It is my grandfather,R.A,taken C.1918 and he is wearing the insignia on his sleeve above his stripes.

Thanks and regards,Martin.

Edited by mwestley

His cap badge looks like it could be RA so I'd have a guess at it being a gun. Do you have his medals or medal index card? I could be wrong though.

It would also fit in with his riding instructor's badge.

Tony

Edited by Tony

[attachmentid=61307]Thanks to all.Yes,he was Royal Artillery from 1914 to his retirement as a warrant Officer just before WW2.I have all his medals from the 1914 Star with Mons Bar to his M.S.M.H e finished his career as gunnery instructor for The Queens Own Worcestershire Hussars.I just found this badge,looks like the type on his sleeve.

Again,thanks,Martin.

Martin,

The Stirrup Insignia is for army Rough Riders, Riding Instructors, and Remount Trainers institued under clothing Warrant dated 1865

The Crossed Swords was Initially for Best Swordsman in Cavalry Regiment and then adopted as the Insgnia for Gymnastic Instructor. Instituted in Clothing Regulations 1881.

hope this helps

PS very nice Insignia

Mark

[attachmentid=61307]Thanks to all.Yes,he was Royal Artillery from 1914 to his retirement as a warrant Officer just before WW2.I have all his medals from the 1914 Star with Mons Bar to his M.S.M.H e finished his career as gunnery instructor for The Queens Own Worcestershire Hussars.I just found this badge,looks like the type on his sleeve.

Again,thanks,Martin.