News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brasov, Central Romania Collectors Expo 18th Nov 2006

Hallo Gents :beer:

just a quick post of one ot the items I picked up at the above mentioned Collectors Expo in Brasov, central Romania today, left home Friday evening at 20.15 by train arrived Brasov at 02:30 this morning, same procedure as always, stand in the train station till 05.45 then walk the 2 km to the factory canteen where the expo is held, thankfully the weather was cool to mild, and no snow.

The doors (not the band :P ) opened about 06:30 then it was a case of patroling the tables till goodies could be found, the down side of searching amongst, stamps, phone-cards, postcards, bric-a-brac, banknotes, coins, general rubbish, was that all militaria item prices were sky high equal to the west (where the average Romanian punter was supposed to come up with the cash god only knows, Gas, Electric, Food prices are rising but the wages stay low!! :(

While searching through the place I discovered this picture, dated the 14 April 1931, and which shows 3 men of the Romanian Mountain Artillery Corp and their boy-mascot, :jumping: I have been told it was traditonal for units to adopt children and they would be raised in the barracks.

The boy quite a cheeky looking chappie, is sitting quite confidently on the gun carraige in his little uniform complete with beret, the gun I think is a German Krupps, probably war booty from WW1. (But any corrections welcome.)

I left the expo at 13:00 and caught the train back home arriving in the door at 20:00, as you can imagine very tired.....

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

P.S. I will post some more items, here tomorrow but I am falling asleep at the keyboard so its time to hit the hay. ...........

Edited by Kev in Deva

While searching through the place I discovered this picture, dated the 14 April 1931, and which shows 3 men of the Romanian Mountain Artillery Corp and their boy-mascot, :jumping: I have been told it was traditonal for units to adopt children and the would be raised in the barracks.

These children (copii de trupă) were no mascots of the units that adopted them. They were usually orphans and the military units were responsible not only for raising them, but also for providing an education for them.

These children (copii de trupă) were no mascots of the units that adopted them. They were usually orphans and the military units were responsible not only for raising them, but also for providing an education for them.

Hallo Carol I, :beer:

thanks for the additional info, I did write in my post "I have been told it was traditonal for units to adopt children and they would be raised in the barracks."

I used the term mascot to diffentitiate between writing "soldier's child" which could heve been misinterprited as the soldier own children.

Can you supply any more information with regards this practise?

Kevin in Deva :beer:

thanks for the additional info, I did write in my post "I have been told it was traditonal for units to adopt children and they would be raised in the barracks."

I used the term mascot to diffentitiate between writing "soldier's child" which could heve been misinterprited as the soldier own children.

I did not mean to contest your statement, but only wanted to make clear that the children were not adopted by chance as symbol-mascots of the military units. The closest translation in English of copil de trupă (plural copii de trupă) probably is 'troop child' ('troop children').

Can you supply any more information with regards this practise?

I do not know much more than I have already written since the practice has been discontinued after WWII. Basically it was one way to support disadvantaged children. Probably it started as a way to support the orphaned children of fallen comrades in the unit, but then extended to other disadvantaged children as well. Most of the children probably remained in the army, with the brightest ones going through officer's schools, but I think there were some cases of troop children choosing civilian careers.

Hallo Carol I :beer:

all is clear with regards the practise of Romanian units adopting children, a very nice gesture especially with respect to the children of fallen comrades, maybe some of the other members might know if any other military carried out the same practise and post the info here, with some pictures if they have them.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo Gentlemen,

while looking through the book; MEN - AT - ARMS SERIES,

142. PARTISAN WARFARE 1941 - 45.

By Nigel Thomas, Peter Abbott, Mike Chappell.

I came across this interesting picture showing a Russian Orphan adopted as the unit mascot of an Estonian Police Unit.

He seems well kitted out, even down to a smg!! :o [attachmentid=63079]

Kevin in Deva. :beer: