News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victoria Cross for sale on E-bay

Not really, as any good business person, they're realizing there's an entire class of collector, some with very, very deep pockets that wouldn't even know who they are. if anything, when an auctioneer like DWB, or Spink... or any number of the reputable US auction houses start down this road I think it will tend to improve eBay's image, not detract from the auctioneer's.

As an interesting side bar, despite eBay's rather stringent "ant-hate" denial of people like me & you selling WW2 german items, a check of any of these live auctioneers wares will find the very same banned items listed. Just one more case of "Do as we say, not as we do"....

Also, I am always stunned at what the value of these VC's are. I tend to think the estimate is probably a little low for this one...

Also, I am always stunned at what the value of these VC's are. I tend to think the estimate is probably a little low for this one...

I would agree the estimate is low -- Spink's, though not as much as DNW's, tend to be low estimates of late -- in any case everyone knows who will get the VC, "Lord Ashcan".

Guest Darrell

I would agree the estimate is low -- Spink's, though not as much as DNW's, tend to be low estimates of late -- in any case everyone knows who will get the VC, "Lord Ashcan".

Any takers among us willing to "up the ante" and make this guy pay dearly for this one? :unsure::rolleyes:

Guest Darrell

Oh, this has been discussed. You want to be that bidder, Darrell? And hope Lord Ashcan isn't sick that day? Still, you'd have a nice VC!

:beer:

Ohh ... best check to see how his health is ... AND ... check my finances REAL closely :cheeky:

Edited by Darrell

The auction houses I know of who have tied up with EbayLive have consistently said it was an administrative nightmare to deal with. The system threw off their entire flow and in-house procedures and didn't bring in much more in the way of sales. The great value is the additional customer names and addresses.

But, in a competitive field, you do what you have to get the market.

The auction houses I know of who have tied up with EbayLive have consistently said it was an administrative nightmare to deal with. The system threw off their entire flow and in-house procedures and didn't bring in much more in the way of sales. The great value is the additional customer names and addresses.

But, in a competitive field, you do what you have to get the market.

Interesting. Thanks, Jeff. It must be that Spink has been -- deservedly -- losing ground to DNW?

Spink, and all the other London houses, indeed have deservedly been losing ground to DNW. Spink is happy to tell you that they've been in business since the Great Fire, but also think that's the reason you should sell your meals through them.

DNW, on the other hand, is far more aggressive in going out and getting consignments. Their web site is a substantial resource that gives everyone access to critical info. Their catalogs are far better researched and presented. They are certainly more attuned to the US/Canadian market than any of the others. And, they sale the goods. You may be faced with consigning at no reserve on your lots, but the unsold list st DNW is extremely small.

So, maybe someone at Spink has figured out that the web has potential and may be here to stay.

Rumor has it that he is branching out. Too much money to spend, I guess. I have been told he is getting into other high-end gallantry groups and singles but, much as is the case with his VC accumulating strategy, this is driven by value, scarcity, and "sexiness" and not by any degree of phaleristic knowledge. I think your RN MM group -- so much rarer than a modest VC! -- may be safe from Lord Ashcan.

Rumor has it that he is branching out. Too much money to spend, I guess. I have been told he is getting into other high-end gallantry groups and singles but, much as is the case with his VC accumulating strategy, this is driven by value, scarcity, and "sexiness" and not by any degree of phaleristic knowledge. I think your RN MM group -- so much rarer than a modest VC! -- may be safe from Lord Ashcan.

oh poo - I was looking forward to that extra ?50 to see me through my dotage

Guest Rick Research

Well, there's always eBay!!! :rolleyes: If that upscale, well informed, and desirable Average Clientele is good enough for Spink's.... :speechless1:

(I didn't click on the link-- did they start the e-bids at ?1 and get 4,739 of those always hopeful ?2.71 lowball bidders? Man, what a "valuable resource" THAT "mailing list" will be to future high profile bidding!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky: )

Guest Darrell

(I didn't click on the link-- did they start the e-bids at ?1 and get 4,739 of those always hopeful ?2.71 lowball bidders? Man, what a "valuable resource" THAT "mailing list" will be to future high profile bidding!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky: )

:cheeky:

That's why when I put something up for bid ... I don't start at $0.99. I start at about at about 1/2 of what I'm lookign for. Keeps the riff raff low-ballers out :shame:

Nope, the bids started at comparatively low prices rather than dirt cheap. Thus far there's been a few bids, but it's like it was a bit of a waste of time for poor old Spink. Time will tell though, i suppose.

Although :off topic: , that's a beaut set Ardent! Could you post it in a seperate thread for discussion and drooling? Love to know the story behind that group!

Sam.