News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusually marked 1914 EK2

Hi,

I don't collect EK2s but I could not resist this one. I believe it to be an earlier cross, but welcome other's thoughts. Size is ~42.84 x 43.00 mm. Frames are silver, the core is loose and imo relatively thick cast iron. I haven't matched a maker yet - KO is close but KAG (and 800 "v") is a much closer match - neither are exact matches though imo.

Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike K

A rough inside scan - I need to re-do it with the digicam. Note that there is a recessed area (very hard to make out though, even in hand) for the cross and the cross is a very snug (but perfect) fit. Image a red RAO4 case - except black - and you'll know how big it is! I don't recall seeing many like this one before.

Regards

Mike

I am a new collector,but not that new.This particular mark I saw on ebay.de a couple of months ago.This mark I have seen only 2 times on the ribbon ring from pics.motorhead has one of them.Not saying it is a anything at all,but here is a pic of a TR EK2 that sold on a dealers site awhile back for ?150.Is this real?

Scott

[attachmentid=61757]

Hi Scott,

You'd be much better off posting this question as a new thread in "The Iron Cross 1939" section.

From what I can see, the cross itself appears genuine BUT the markings do not appear to have any "age". They are fresh and shiny whereas the frames on the cross show very nice dark age patine. The markings appear to be a "lazy 2", a "." (DOT) and "800". My guess is that someone has taken a genuine unmarked example and marked it up with a COMBINATION of Juncker RitterKreuz markings (DOT 800 + Lazy 2 800).

Regards

Mike

:jumping: Is all these yours old buddy :love:

Impressive indeed, wouldn?t mind seeing

Some more pictures of yours wb?s mate.

Especially the navy and the ?chaplain?s badge?.

With a closer thought show them all :rolleyes: the ek's too ;)

Cheers,

Ronny

Mike thank you for the advice,but I know were to post.My point being the mm on the frame.Yes i know the TR EK2 is good but the marks aint.Found the pic I was looking for,here is what was on ebay.de awhile back.What I would like to see is some more examples of IMP EK2s with a maker on the frame.IMHO these mm are fake.

Scott

[attachmentid=61857]

Mike thank you for the advice,but I know were to post.My point being the mm on the frame.Yes i know the TR EK2 is good but the marks aint.Found the pic I was looking for,here is what was on ebay.de awhile back.What I would like to see is some more examples of IMP EK2s with a maker on the frame.IMHO these mm are fake.

Scott

[attachmentid=61857]

Scott,

Sorry, I did not realise you were "testing" by asking questions you knew the answers to.

How many 1914EK2s have you seen marked with the crescent moon+crown+800 recently?

Regards

Mike

This one is a hard case.....First I must say that I don't have one of these in my collection-because I was never quick enough to pick it up.So my knowledge is 2nd hand....I've seen EK2 with similiar markings popping up at ebay from time to time-but it's always the same seller...But(yes,there's always a but...) my "mentor" in iron crosses has got 2 or 3 of them,untouched,uncleaned and as far as I remember all with the same core and frame.I have asked him for pics so with a little luck we can compare the pieces. About Mikes EK all I can say-it looks right to me! Just my feeling about it!

Micha

Hi,

Scott, no fighting words were intended in my reply!

Fyi, the recent eBay.de example and my example are the same cross.

The oldest specific reference I have to this type of marking is in Bowen's EK book from the mid 80s.

There are other 1914 EKs that use this triple marking - eg some Wagner EK1 Prinzens and some M Hansen EK1s.

If the markings turn out to be bad then someone has done an excellent job and I've been fooled - wouldn't be the first time!

Micha, I will be interested in those pics if you can get them!

Regards

Mike