News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Full Dress Uniform

Hi guys,

My first post to your forum and I am hoping someone can help me ID this uniform. I have tried various sites and googling but haven't been able to turn up any useful information. Any good links for research would also be very much appreciated.

Anyway here it is..it is named also, I don't know the significance of the number "72" either.

Regards,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

is the name to the label C. Barwis or C. Baiwis? I found C.A.W.Barwis in some army lists as follows -

1915 - Commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant 15 Aug 1914. On the unattached list for the Indian Army.

1922 - Promoted to Captain 7 Aug 1918. In the Indian Army.

1923 - as for 1922

1926 - doesn't appear

The buttons are described in the Dress Regulations India 1913 for officers on the unattached list awaiting admission to the Indian Army ie. Gilt, burnished with Tudor Crown (post 1901) and scalloped edge.

A 2nd Lieutenant wore one star, a captain 3 stars on the shoulder cord for the Indian Army. Is the lace to the cuffs gold or silver (I'm colour blind). One reference states that In 1902 cuffs again became pointed and back skirts acquired slashed flaps with buttons. However, the 1900 Dress Regulations has photos showing pointed cuffs but with Austrian knots for regular infantry. The tunic is definitely 1902+ and full dress was not re-issued to the bulk of the army after WWI. If all of the above is true then the 2nd Lieutenant rank star holds true.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the help...much appreciated.

I thought the name was Baiwis, however I also came up empty handed researching this name. It is hard to make out the name so it could very well be Barwis..except the second dot for another "I"...I am not 100% on the name.

The cuffs are gold albeit a little worn.

Stuart, is it possible to provide a link or some information on how to access these "army lists". I saw them mentioned in an older thread when I was searching and didn't come up with anything useful on the net. It sounds like an invaluable tool in helping do the research.

Regards,

Jeff

Edited by jholl72

Bonsoir Jeff,

You may be interested to search the Archives of the London Gazette ?

It is online from...1752 (!) to 1979 here :

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSearch.asp

The August 14 1914 entry will tell you for instance that :

UNATTACHED LIST FOR INDIAN ARMY

Gentleman Cadet Cuthbert William Arthur Barwis, from the Royal Military College, Kingston, Canada, to be Second Lieutenant, with a view to his appointment to the Indian Army.

His Indian Connexion seem to have been with the 54th Sikhs - he was also attached for a while with the 70th and 85th Burmah Rifles.

But I let you search the Gazette !

With such a rare surname, no need to use the initials / first names in the search box, "Barwis" will be enough.

Be sure to select the proper years, and don't forget to tick the appropriate box.

Happy searching !

Jerome

(btw, sometimes the site goes down ; patience is ...useful !)

Bonsoir Jerome,

Happy searching is an understatement...that, sir, is alot of great information and has made for some good reading.

My next stop was the National Archives where I found his medal card(although not downloaded yet) and the information needed to get his service records. I will have to enlist the help of a researcher there to get his file, but when I do I will share it here.

The gazettes are a great research tool also, that I admittedley forgot to check. Not next time.

Now if we could find some British dress regs for 1913 and put the pointed cuffs to rest, that would be great.

Regards,

Jeff

Edited by jholl72

• 4 months later...