News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Guys,

I see in this months Medal News, that theres a book recently published about the Cyprus campaign, in the 50`s. It says that British Police Officers, where invloved in the campaign.

I`m curious to know whether these Officers were sent out from UK Constabularies, or did they form part of some Cyprus Police force, similiar to the Palestine Police?

Has any seen or got a medal to one of these Officers?

How much success have you had researching him?

BJOW beer.gif

Many UK Police Forces sent officers to Cyprus for the emergency. Indeed PC Eden Maurice from the Metropolitan Police was awarded the GM for his actions, he was killed on duty in Cyprus.

Hi Gordon,

Yes, they did the the GSM.

Here is a list a officers from Staffordshire Constabulary who served in Cyprus and were awarded the GSM:-

Year Surname First Name Rank Force Award

33 1959 Gidwell J H Sgt Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

38 1959 Waller H L PC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

32 1959 Bryers M J Sgt Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

36 1959 Bushell B A PC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

35 1959 Guest J PC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

30 1959 Fullerton Stanley Insp Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

39 1959 Jordon F L PC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

37 1959 Beardsmore Alan PC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

41 1959 Smeaton Margaret WPC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

31 1959 Bentley C Sgt Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

46 1960 Harris John G PC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

34 1959 Spencer John J PC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

45 1960 Lupton Hugh Sgt Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

40 1959 Wallace J P PC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

42 1959 Skellam J Ex PC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

44 1959 Wakelin Jean F WPC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

43 1959 Allen Jean WPC Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

29 1959 Wright Harold D/Insp Staffordshire GSM [Cyprus]

Ian.

• 6 months later...

Hi Gordon,

Yes I have seen the QPM, just outbid at the moment but watching how it goes.

Did you managed to get the Police LS Medal to NW Police??

Regards,

Ian.

HI ,

I served in Cyprus during the 1950's .I recall a Police Officer known as the Wyatt EARP OF Ayious Ambrosis

I dont think that is the correct spelling. From memory I believe this Police Officer came from Bedford.

He had the rank of Sergeant and saved me and an RA gunner from an embarrassing situation by providing our water truck with petrol having run out in the kyrenia mountain range.

Chhers

Rob Badrick

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have just picked up this thread again.

I am currently undertaking some research into the award of the GSM bar CYPRUS to members of the UK police forces who were seconded to Cyprus for the conflict [1st April 1955 - 19th April 1959].

The qualification for the medal/bar was 120 days service in the case of regular officers, and a total of 822 hours of duty in the case of Special Constables.

A total of 895 UK police officers served in Cyprus, the last members being withdrawn from the Island at midnight 16th August 1960.

I have recently seen such medals named to Inspectors who do not appear on the roll?? Would they be officers who served in the Cyprus Police rather that UK officers attached??

The medals which I have seen to Sergeants ALWAYS have a number prior to their rank!!! Does anyone have any medals named to Inspectors or above, with a number prior to the rank.

Ian.