News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Grips of DEATH ! German Machine Guns...

• 2 months later...

Great video about the single invention that changed the face of warfare!

I loved the quote - "If u want to make a pile of money, invent something that will enable the Europeans to cut their throats with greater facility!" How very true!!!

Thanks for sharing it!

Jim :cheers:

Chris.... Each time i pass by a certain street I find myself thinking of you... Agreed... barf barf!!! But i thought that if I'd send you a pic I might exorcise this demon....so here goes...

Yes I know its through the window and yes I also know that there are way too many reflections. But you have a keen eye so I thought why not.

Now... having a chat with its owner, he says its Swiss circa 1911. Does not mean much to me but maybe it does to you. He also said something about CHF2,500 but then again, I do not know if he was speaking about this baby or some other baby! We were speaking french and his french was rustier than mine...... the other option was german.... mine is non existant :) So misunderstandings could happen!

Hope u like it anyways ..... and if u can tell me something more about it (apart from "I want it!!") ;) I'd appreciate.

I've seen a couple of these MG08's in person and they strike me as just brutal killing machines. When you think of the damage they probably wrought it leaves you in awe. When you think of the nature of alot of the warfare and tactics used in WW1, it's these weapons that stand out like no other.

I've seen a couple of these MG08's in person and they strike me as just brutal killing machines. When you think of the damage they probably wrought it leaves you in awe. When you think of the nature of alot of the warfare and tactics used in WW1, it's these weapons that stand out like no other.

It is in fact the machine gun that changed the face of modern warfare and tactics like no other invention ever did. It just snowballed after that.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 11 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Hmmm. I have just now discovered this thread. :speechless:

Schwarzlose, eh? Remarkably uncomfortable looking to operate! (Iglo training course, 1918)

It is a Deep Dark Secret :unsure: but Chris DOES have an A7V...

A little vinyl siding, some gnomes-- hey, presto! A garden shed. :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

More images of the items will be displayed in the Collectors Image Gallery but I will show the skeletonised DP pieces as individual threads if of interest. I understand these cut-away German MGs are quite rare and although these came from a museum my research leads me to think they were done after being captured, as Allied instructional tools!! I have cleaned them as best as possible to remove all old grime, rust, oil etc but I am still trying to detemine when for example the British started using 'red' paint to outline weaponry skeletons. On the other hand if anyone can confrm that in WWI the Imperial Army skeletonised pieces then even better!!!! Mark

Mark,

Could the German army have used cut away MGs for their own instruction purposes?

As for the red paint, I have a sectioned Mills bomb from between the wars, although the red paint is old I can't say for sure when it was painted.

Tony

Could the German army have used cut away MGs for their own instruction purposes?

As for the red paint, I have a sectioned Mills bomb from between the wars, although the red paint is old I can't say for sure when it was painted.

Tony

To prove the existance of skeletonised wpns in use by the Imperial Army would be fantastic, but I have just not seen any WWI evidence to confirm.

Certainly British MG manuals start talking about DP guns in the late 1920s so maybe even our own military did not 'skeletonise' until after WWI?

So although I am hoping that this is period WWI German I cannot confirm, especially as after WWI several nations absorbed/used the plentiful stocks of captured weaponry into their own service.

Mark

• 4 months later...