News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 56
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to digress here, 'cause to me machine guns are just (close eyes now to avoid heresy) just noisy big things that make you a target! :cheeky:

Digression: In Chris' post #2, who's the very "darkish" fellow in the bottom right of the photo? I didn't think the Imperial German Army had any colonial troops in Europe. Just curious.

Seriously, though - great MGs! :beer:

Peter

• 2 months later...

The Theme is machineguns... Cmon guys, we all think they are cool, are Tony and I the only ones with MG pics??

Don't panic, Chris.

Posed photograph taken in Kruishoutem, Flanders. Sorry, no date.

Kind regards,

Jef

Dear Chris,

Found several pics in historical reference works. The first one came from "World War One German Army" written by Stephen Bull. The second one is the cover of "German army Handbook April 1918"

More in a second post.

Jef

And the second post.

Both the images were published in WWI German Army by Stephen Bull

In a third post I have a question which kept me busy for years. I would be grateful for your opinion, please.

Jef

Hello again,

Long time ago I heard some stories from civilian eye witnesses that German MG gunners were tied up to their MG's. This happened during a retread to another line. Fastened to their MG's, the machinegunners were not able to draw back or to flee.

I'm afraid I can't believe this, so I was looking for a meaningful explanation. A MG is a heavy thing. So one person is carrying the sledge over his shoulders, the gunner carries the gun by means of trageriemen.

In order to move the MG fast, would it be possible to shoot with the trageriemen attached to the MG?

This would give a wrong view, an interpretation the gunner was fastened to his MG, and... an aswer to my question.

Would be grateful for your advice.

With kind regards as always,

Jef

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

nice pics!

This is the only machinegun I?ve got and it seems to be French.

I?m sure the guy in front once posed as proudly as his german comrades and surely many of those shared his fate....Poor Pontalon-Rouge!

Kind regards,

A. Reim

Guest Rick Research

The only German one I have, set up in anti-aircraft mode:

Otherwise, only Hungarian, Italian, and French ones.

Chris, the "mini trailer" in post #10 was still being used by the Reichsheer. Not the best shot, but this was sent to his sweetie by a Sepp in 8. MG/II./ Inf Rgt 21 in June 1924:

can't tell if it's hitched to a motor vehicle or a wagon, but the rest of the photo is bicycles and horses behind the guys.

Well, I haven't contributed any photos yet, so here is one of the Teutonic brethren playing bang-bang with a captured Russian Maxim.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Guest Rick Research

Hey! Give us that bacK!

They are actually instructors in the U.S. to train AEF machine gunners before they shipped over

I just like the ribbon bars on the overcoats. :rolleyes: