News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Normandy Invasion !

So... how about this for an idea... a thread comprising of all items, of all nations that were used in Normandy.

Medals awarded for, uniforms worn in, photos taken in , maps used in...

And if possible, if you know something about the piece, a bit of the history behind it?

This was a jacket from a local 12th SS HJ man who served in Normandy, I am not sure that he wore this exact jacket while there, but I am assuming so.

• Replies 100
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Grandad was a Trooper in the 141st Regt. RAC. and arrived in Normandy on 19th June, which must have been tons safer than it was for those who arrived 13 days earlier.

Some time in October he wandered across the wrong side of the line (don't know where) in his fuel tanker and was shot at by some Germans. After doing a runner, he was soon surrounded by the Americans and taken prisoner, which must have given the German POWs a good laugh. After 24 hours of pleading not guilty in a strong London accent, he was given to some Canadian troops who took him to their MO. He spent the rest of his war in hospital, being discharged from service in March 1945.

I wonder if my Grandad met my wife?s uncle Albert.

Wow Gents! Excellent job on this section so far! Love these pics... hope they keep coming. Joel, how I wish I'd known you'd find that 88 as I'd have absolutely love pics of the optics if they're still attached. Seems the hardest thing to get in pics of 88's... and I've seen tons of them... but they never seem to show the optics. Only one I ever got was one I took with my digital camera off a documentary on the TV in freeze frame! Came on it quite by accident and the only one I've ever seen.

I tried writing the staff at Aberdeen Proving Grounds and sure enough they have 88's but basically they said I'd have to come to take pics of whatever I wanted. Arrrrrgh! Hopefully next time we're in Maryland but that could be several years from now.

Hopefully more pics will show up at some point. Will continue to keep my fingers crossed. But boy oh boy how I'd love that puppy in my front (or back) yard. Kim might grumble a bit but c'est la guerre! :P:jumping::jumping:

Keep up the great work! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

I do not know German but he was burried in Champigny-St Andre. I forgot to mention that I rerceived this group from Chris. I am so thankfull Chris

Juan

I was very happy to see it go to a good home.

I will be leaving for a month, when I get back i will see if its possible to get a phot of the grave and cemetary, or maybe someone can in the meantime. I think it is possible through the German graved site...

When I received the uniform set I was very happy. When I was able to find his records It really hit me hard the realization that he was only 20 years old when he died. He was just a kid ( I am 47 years old now). What a terrible war.

Juan

Edited by jcsanche