News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italian C.S.I.R. Cross

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

I know this isnt exactly German Third Reich ... but definitely 3rd Reich related. This is the Italian C.S.I.R. Cross given to all Italians who fought during the opening battles in Russia.

Guest Darrell

Found some neat info on this one:

Italian C.S.I.R. Cross was probably instituted in August 1942 and awarded to those troops that participated in the initial campaign of Operation Barbarossa. Nice white enamel cross with silver metal outlines on a white/black ribbon. The reverse shows the names of the Russian regions and the years that the Italian troops fought. On top of the cross is the inscription "DNJEPR, DONETZ" and on the bottom is the dates "LUGLIO 941, LUGLIO 942." Perpendicular to the cross from left to right the inscription "BUG" and "DON." In the center it shows the "C.S.I.R." in bigger size letters. In addition just below the date it shows in small letters the manufacturers name and address "LORIOLI MILANO ROMA, A PICOZZI MILANO." Post-production badges exist probably made and purchased for veterans.

I would really wonder what something like this commands on the market? ninja.gif

Guest Darrell

I agree that the second award shown is what I believe to be the later post war version inferior in quality to the war time award.

My Uncle made his way through Italy / France / Belgium / Holland and Germany before War's end. I have a feeling he got the Afrika Medal and this one while on his trip through Italy.

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

nice looking cross!

still looking for one to add to my collection. haha

is the white paint or enamal?

thanks!

mossy.

In hand it looks like paint. Appears to have been touched up in a few places as well.

• 1 year later...

Darrell's cross is actually a really nice wartime example and quite rarely seen. The examples one sees far more often are postwar, like the one offered by Niemann. $80.00 is high for something that was churned out by the bucketful for the collectors' market from the 1960s to the 1990s. I'd pay maybe $30.00 tops for a postwar version if I wanted one. For a wartime example? Well, it's true that Italian stuff doesn't command high prices but it would be worth more to me than a 1939 EKII, that's sure. That said, Darrell's example has damaged enamel with clumsy touch-up attempts so that would bring the price back down. As a damaged medal, it is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it. I would not turn my nose up at it, although I might see about removing the modeller's enamel or whatever some fool used to try to fill in the dinks.

PK

Edited by PKeating

Hello Darrell & All,

See also : http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtop... on this topic ... Originals will pricewise probably fetch about 80 - 100 Euros when in undamaged condition, quite possibly more if in genuine silver. As always, a lot depends on quality of the item and collectors' interest at the time but I'd say any original purchased below that level is a good deal indeed !

And, it would appear some of the Lorioli crosses were also executed in "900" silver ...

Cheers,

Hendrik