Chris Boonzaier

Sturm-bataillon ....

180 posts in this topic

Here is another recommendation list, from Sturm-Bataillon 4, though with a more generic Begründung.  I don't know which Freiherr v. Hammerstein signed it.  Sturm-Btl. 4 was a Garde unit, so maybe Hptm.d.R. Adolf Frhr. v. Hammerstein-Loxten from the Reserve of the Garde-Jäger-Bataillon, although he might have been a Maj.d.R. by 1917.  

You can also see by the penciled-in notation "Höchste Genehmigung vom 18. Juli 1917" that it took two months from recommendation to approval.  I am not sure how typical this is, but it usually took longer than it would for an Iron Cross, since once the recommendation was received, the Staatsministerium would then have to contact the local magistrate to confirm the citizenship and residency of the proposed awardee.

566825f9b7f01_Sturm-Btl.4AK-Vorschlag.th

Very interesting to see how the system worked, someone in the battalion must have kept track of the different origins..

For the most part, all award recommendations had to follow this procedure.  Even Prinz Aribert, as a commander in the field, had to have his recommendations sent back to Dessau.  Once he became Prinzregent in September 1918, though, he made a number of awards on his own authority.  Duke Friedrich made a bunch of immediate awards when he visited the front, but his Flügeladjutant had to scramble to get the correct information so everything could be properly documented.

For the battalion, I would assume it was the adjutant or whoever was in charge of maintaining the Kriegsrangliste/Kriegsstammrolle.

I just picked up a Militärpass and Soldbuch to a Sturm-Soldat. He served in the Sturm Abteilung der 207 ID and then in the Sturm Kompagnie der 89 Reserve Infanterie-Brigade. He also served in a Freikorps Grenzschutz Ost company and won the EKI, II and Grenzschutz Ost Deutsch-Ritterkreuz. Here is the front page of his Soldbuch. I will post both pieces when I get them.

Does anyone have any information on these two Sturm units?

Sturmkomp_89 Res. Inf Brig.JPG