News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is an intersting Postcard, the stamp on the back is from "Ausbildungskurs am Granat-Werfer Lager Lechfeld"

Where is it?

By the way, Chris. The book about the Generalgouvernment Belgien has arrived. Nothing special military, a few photos, but mostly histories of the civilian live and administration

Edited by The Prussian

• 7 months later...

Chris, do you have this one?

The History of Sturmbataillon 7

attachicon.gifSB7.jpg

Hi,

Flipping through this the other day.... super coincidence....

In the period where 2 companies of Sturm Bataillon Rohr were attached to the S.B. 7 there is no seperate mention of them, they were fully intergrated in the S.B. for their time there...

I have found 2 mentions of what were very likely 2 of my Rohr men...

There is no Lt Zirkler in S.B. 7, but there was in S.B. Rohr... I think it is a sure shot that the Lt. Zirkler mentioned in this history was "My guy"... so it allows me to place in in 3. Komp of S.B. Rohr. as they were detached to S.B. 7 in July 1917.

Secondly, few NCOs are mentioned by name, but Unteroffizier Breuer is mentioned, "My" Breuer was there at the time and got the EK1 just a few weeks later... I think it is a pretty sure shot that it is the Uffz. mentioned in the book as most of those mentioned seemed to have been decorated for their efforts soon afterwards....

So I am very happy with the book :-)

Hi,

Flipping through this the other day.... super coincidence....

In the period where 2 companies of Sturm Bataillon Rohr were attached to the S.B. 7 there is no seperate mention of them, they were fully intergrated in the S.B. for their time there...

I have found 2 mentions of what were very likely 2 of my Rohr men...

:jumping:

You are right, they are the same men!

That is really something cool. So he actually handled this document! Awesome score.

That is not his signature, is it?

I really like the patina'ed "DEMO" mark in the middle(joking).

• 5 months later...

"Dear Frida

Here is a picture from my company - sadly the photograph is a little small in size - but you will find me on it. I sit on the right in the second row, we all wear our visor caps (Schirmmuetzen)"

Greetings, D. Lizzo"

Edited by Naxos

• 3 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Another one:
    Sturm-Trupp Feldpost Nr. 951

D

The Feldpost Nr. 951 belonged to the 6th bavarian Ldw.Div.

1., 2., 12.Ldw.Rgt.

The division was located in Alsace near Munster

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

• 1 month later...

An interesting Militärpass supplement to a Pionier Karl Butzbach of Kongl. Preuss. Sturm Batl. 2. and later the Sturm Batl. of the Minenwerfer-Abtl. of Freikorps Feldmarschall Hindenburg. Interestingly, his conduct in the Freikorps was marked as 'excellent' (vorzüglich). Also attached is the sleeve-badge worn by Freikorps Feldmarschall Hindenburg.

cover.thumb.jpg.e63a91d084aa4cbcf1cb438bFKHindenburg1.thumb.jpg.7c2b278324a8d653FKHindenburg2.thumb.jpg.d29bcbd084023993FKHindenburg3.thumb.jpg.7cf10da40606d9d8compsm.thumb.jpg.2d552394d980f243cbf00cc

• 3 months later...

I don't have the original document, since it is in an archive, but here is a scan of an award recommendation from Sturm-Bataillon Rohr.  It has Rohr's signature, and also the endorsement of an Oberst from the staff of AOK 5 whose name I can't quite make out.  Both awards were approved, by the way.  

5665f8eded38f_Sturm-Btl.RohrAK-Vorschlag

Steckby, where Kurt Fromm was born, was a small village on the Elbe.  He was a Schiffer, or boatman, which seems to be a pretty common civilian occupation for Pionier troops, especially from Anhalt.  Maybe not the most useful preparation for a flamethrower troop, but how many civilian jobs are?

Franz Richter was a Zimmermann, or carpenter, which I suppose is a useful set of skills for many military jobs.  Just from a quick look through the Anhalt rolls, it seems that about 2/3rds of them ended up in Pionier units.  His hometown, Trinum, is a small village between Bernburg and Köthen.  It used to be on the main road between the two cities, but a new highway bypasses the town and takes the B6 to the south side of Köthen near the old Soviet air force base.  I've been through there about a half dozen times, but I can't say that there is a whole lot to see there, except when they have air shows.

So far, I have only come across about 15 awards of the Friedrichkreuz to Sturm-Bataillon members, out of about 10,000 awards I have typed up.  These are the only ones to SB Rohr, and the rest are spread out all over. No Anhalt-based unit was the replacement formation for a Sturm-Bataillon; nor apparently was PB 4, which was the parent unit for Pionier formations in the IV. corps area where Anhalt located.