News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 7 months later...

Some more pictures of Wachtmeister Wilhelm Huber, 1./Nachrichtenabteilung 376 :

File0125-1.jpg

File0066-1.jpg

Im grossen Donbogen (in the great bend of the Don River)

Edited by Naxos

A great but sad story. I am glad you found out more about your uncle's fate. A lot of people don't realize that the German Army went to war in 1939 with roughly twice the number of horses that they did in 1914.

Don

A great but sad story. I am glad you found out more about your uncle's fate. A lot of people don't realize that the German Army went to war in 1939 with roughly twice the number of horses that they did in 1914.

Don

Thank you Don,

during the second World War the Wehrmacht employed about 2.75 million horses and 1.7 million of them became casualties.

Some years ago in Toronto I met a German cavalry veteran, he had tears in his eyes when he said:

"They carried us until they could go no more and when we were starving they fed us"

Regards, Hardy

• 2 years later...

Horse badges are one of my recent side collections. Like Paul, I have never seen a pic with two different Horse badges of one dude. Then to find out he is a relative........I love it.

Now for my fatherly advice, put these photos in an archival quality scrap book. What I would do is take the photos you want to display to a real photo shop and have them scanned and copies made. That way you can store the originals in the best way possible. You may have other relatives that want copies and will split the costs. Last but not least never let them go and be sure your family knows what they are. When I meet people that had relatives in one of the wars(not collectors like us) I tell them it may not mean much to you but 50 or 100 years from now it may mean a lot to someone.

..... Last but not least never let them go and be sure your family knows what they are. When I meet people that had relatives in one of the wars(not collectors like us) I tell them it may not mean much to you but 50 or 100 years from now it may mean a lot to someone.

Absolutly ! Thank you for the input.

Have a look at this thread as well: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15277&view=&hl=reiterabzeichen&fromsearch=1

• 5 months later...