News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LA MEDALLA MILITAR

Jacques

I never thought I'd be able to contribute an item of my collection to this thread, but sometimes you just get lucky. Anyone have a period photo of a LC vet wearing this combination of ribbons on his uniform? Also, can someone tell me how to get a copy of the list of German recipients of the Medalla Militar Individual (MMI)?

In the Osprey publication "The Condor Legion", author Carlos Jurado says 64 MMIs were awarded to LC personnel as follows:

- 31 to K/88

- 14 to J/88

- 10 to A/88

- 1 to AS/88

- 1 to F/88 (to longest serving commander, Hermann Lichtemberger)

- 1 to S/88 (to last Chief of Staff, Hans Seidemann)

- 2 to Army contingent instructors

- 1 to each LC Commander (Sperrle, Volkmann, Richtofen)

Jurado also claims only 15 winners of the SCiG w/diamonds were awarded the MMI. He made a couple errors in other places in the book, so I'm not sure how accurate the above information is...

:cheers:

Hi Scott,

:beer: it is a very nice combination. If you can take close up of the MM it should be great.

I know the list you are talking about, and indeed it is not complete. I guess around 100 german soldiers were awarded this coveted medal. you absolutly don't know who was the owner ?

jacques

I never thought I'd be able to contribute an item of my collection to this thread, but sometimes you just get lucky. Anyone have a period photo of a LC vet wearing this combination of ribbons on his uniform? Also, can someone tell me how to get a copy of the list of German recipients of the Medalla Militar Individual (MMI)?

In the Osprey publication "The Condor Legion", author Carlos Jurado says 64 MMIs were awarded to LC personnel as follows:

- 31 to K/88

- 14 to J/88

- 10 to A/88

- 1 to AS/88

- 1 to F/88 (to longest serving commander, Hermann Lichtemberger)

- 1 to S/88 (to last Chief of Staff, Hans Seidemann)

- 2 to Army contingent instructors

- 1 to each LC Commander (Sperrle, Volkmann, Richtofen)

Jurado also claims only 15 winners of the SCiG w/diamonds were awarded the MMI. He made a couple errors in other places in the book, so I'm not sure how accurate the above information is...

:cheers:

Unfortunately, the person I received the items from could only tell me he got them from an old collection many years ago. He said the items could all be related to the same person, but he could not guarantee it. The set came with a brass LC souvenir plate from 2.K/88, so there's a chance the original owner was in that unit. I'd love to find out for certain.

The MMI is marked 'Ega?a' on the lower left of the front and back. When I received the medal bar, the MMI had some old, crusty polishing compound in the recesses (that I carefully removed), so some of the finer details may have fallen victim to repeated polishings.

Edited by Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I have been sent here by Scott from the WAF and who is also a member here, in order to share a Spanish Medalla Militar that I own and would like more information on. Given the crown Scott believes it to be pre 1936-39. It has no makers marks and the suspension ring and medal are all one piece construction. Can anyone give me a proper time frame for it's manufacture and perhaps a value.

For those who can access the WAF, here is a link: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...d=1#post3072116

Thank you.

Regards,

Chuck Stubben

Hardy, the web links you posted show two distinctly different strikes of the Spanish MMI. The one posted by Chuck Stuben, and shown in your first web link has the woman on the front wearing the distinctive 1933-36 crown, and holding a sword. The other MMIs posted in this thread, and shown on your second link, show the woman uncrowned with a shield instead of a sword. My gut feeling is Chuck's medal preceeded those awarded by the Franco government following the end of the Spanish Civil War - but I could be wrong.

Jacques, Panzerpioneer, your thoughts?

Edited by Scott

• 1 year later...

I found this MMI at the SOS. This design is similar to the one previously posted by VonStuben, without the shield on the front, but with the yellow/gold border stripes on the ribbon. The jump ring is soldered closed, and the medal looks like it's always been with the ribbon which shows mild age (the photo makes the ribbon look much fresher than it actually is). I scanned the medal under magnification and could find no sign of a maker mark. The vendor I bought it from said the maker is "Saz" of Spain (?). This strike is thinner in profile than my Egana strke, but the detail is far more sharp and crisp.

Opinions?

Edited by Scott

Close-up. Interesting to note this one (like VonStuben's) has the lion at the foot of a crowned woman, while most other designs have a crownless woman with her arm on a shield with a lion motif. There are other minor design differences as well. Could one be an earlier/later design than the other?

Edited by Scott

The "Saz" design (top) compared to an Egana from my Legion Condor medal bar (bottom) -- sizes are not to scale with each other.

Note the Saz design has the woman offering what appears to be an olive branch (peace), while the Egana design has the woman offering a crown of laurels (victory). Would this indicate the Saz piece is a later, more "politically correct" design?

Any help solving this mystery would be much appreciated? :speechless:

Edited by Scott

Antonio Prieto Barrio sent an email response to my MMI questions, mentioning that the version I posted above is one of many different variants of the medal, and Antonio included a .pdf copy of "Medalla Militar Legislacion Y Normativa" which looks to be a fairly comprehensive reference on the medal (it's written in Spanish, so I'll need to brush up on my comprehension skills).

Muchas gracias Antonio!

Edited by Scott

Hi Scott,

SAZ is indeed a spanish manufacturer from this period. I don't know how it has been marked or not , and how to recognize them; I never see one in flesh.

As I said, German manufacturers also made this medal, and I would like to see these variants too.

Best regards

jacques

Hello to all

I believe that at least have these variants, now in stydy for the correct identification

Any notice are very welcome, specially a good image scanneds of the two faces

Type

Obverse

Verso

Alfonsino I

Alegoría type I

Motto:AL MÉRITO EN CAMPAÑA

CoA of Spain type M1

Campaig: MARRUECOS

Alfonsino II

Alegoría type I

CoA of Spain

Without campaig

República I

Alegoría type I

CoA of Spain type R1, the previous modified

Campaing: MARRUECOS

República II

Alegoría type I

Without Motto

CoA of Spain type R2

Without Motto

Medina

Alegoría type I

CoA of Spain

Egaña I

Alegoría type I

Marked EGAÑA

Motto: AL MÉRITO EN CAMPAÑA

CoA of Spain type EE1

Marked EGAÑA

Egaña II

Alegoría type I

CoA of Spain

INDUSTRIAS EGAÑA

EE I

Alegoría type I

Without mark

CoA of Spain

EE II

Alegoría type I

Without mark

CoA of Spain

EE III

Alegoría type I

Without mark

CoA of Spain

Without mark

Jordana

Alegoría

CoA of Spain

J. Saz I

Alegoría type III

CoA of Spain

J. Saz II

Alegoría type II

CoA of Spain

Without campaig

OS

Not known details

Otto Schickle (Pforzheim)

CoA of Spain

S&L

Not known details

Steinhauer & Lück (Lüdenscheid)

CoA of Spain

<BR clear=all>

I may be wrong, but I assume "Alegoría type I" has the un-crowned matron with shield on the obverse, since that seems to be the most common design. The J.Saz I found at the SOS (crowned matron without shield) must be either Alegoría type II or III, which seems to align with Antonio's info above. In the Medalla Militar document Antonio sent me, the description of the medal's obverse mentions the matron (woman) and laurels, but no shield -- perhaps some artistic license was granted by the medal commissioning authority.

Jacques, I recognize the S&L catalog photo you show. What company catalogs are the other two photos from? Can you provide a larger photo of the S&L medal that might show more detail?

Edited by Scott

So far, except the types of industries EGAÑA does not seem facil to assign models to manufacturers.

Besides many of Military Medals have been done for jewel cases and craftsmen that knowing the model have contributed his fantasy: precious stones, variations in the elements, different sizes, etc

Please, do not forget that these models are in study and descriptions and allocations can suffer modifications

Also that any information, included quality images of obverses and reverses are necessary. You can send to me to my email

Edited by Antonio Prieto

Allegory type I. Matron representing to Spain, offering a laurel wreath. It leans on a shield with a head of lion

Coat of Arms type M1: Simplified dynastic shield with the five traditional quarts: Castile, Leon, Aragon, Navarre and, Granada. Central shield with lises. Royal crown

Coat of Arms type R1: Equal to M1 with mural crown

Coat of Arms type R2: The created in 1869 for the I Republic, with the five traditional quarts: Castile, Leon, Aragon, Navarre and, Granada. Mural crown and Hercules's columns are placed with the motto “PLUS ULTRA”, without crowns

Allegoty tipe II. Crowned Matron, offering an olive crown with his right hand. The sinister hand leans on a sword. Low the right handed arm, a head of lion. At the back a nascent sun

Also I known for this type the Matron wearing left and also right