News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish Star and EK2

TerryG

I'm not fluent in Ottoman script I can not able to read some words but obviously the officer saying that photo was taken when he was with Yavuz (Goeben) battleship.

Reference to your question about why the Ottomans wrote 2 but read 3. The answer is simple because of speedy writing.

The second one

the photo was dedicated to a certain Lt. (M?lazım) Osman Efendi

the date 16 June (I'm not certain for the month but it looks like Haziran) 1334 (1918)

I guess 33 regiment and 2 battalion

• 4 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Hello mates, sorry I waS AWAY FOR A LONG TİME.

An EK2 unknown Turk from my privat collection. His Gallipoli star's point can be seen.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=105327&start=60

PS The first fhoto that Terry G posted is a cavalry officer. You can understand it from his silvery collar.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

Gentleman,

Mr. Tosun's transcription is wrong, but Infantry's right. The date is 33/12/13... This makes 1917/12/13 in Rumi Calender... And the writing says "When I am on board of Yavuz (Goeben)"...

Mehraba and tessekur ederim for this confirmation. I will post the photo of the text again for clearer reference. (I tried to send you a message but the system tells me you cannot receive pm's. Let me know when you can).

Edited by TerryG

• 1 month later...

A new one in my collection. Any idea what uniform this is? Also, he is wearing the star on the wrong side, why? (same with the medal I guess).

Hello All,

This is a photo of Turkish military family. He is a Lt.Col of Medical unit. He is a doctor. Two bars with two stars is LtCol. a snake around the cup that he bears on collar is the symbol of Turkish medicine units. It was same during Ottoman period and republican time. The officers had this kind of uniform during the years 1933-45.

According to the Turkish republican military rules the officers could only bear the medal of independance on their uniform. You can easly see the medal of Independance on his right breast.

cheers

Gentleman,

Mr. Tosun's transcription is wrong, but Infantry's right. The date is 33/12/13... This makes 1917/12/13 in Rumi Calender... And the writing says "When I am on board of Yavuz (Goeben)"...

I think my old and dear friend Gallipoli 1915 made a typing mistake.

1917/12/13 is not a date of Rumi Calander but "Miladi" Calander. Miladi calender is the modern calender which begings with the birth of Jesus Christus.

1333/12/13 is Rumi. Turks had the Rumi calander till the republic era. Rumi means "land of Romans". Turks called their home "diyar-ı Rum". Land of Romans and the Sultan was called "Sultan-ı iklim-i Rum" Sultan of Roman lands.

Hello All,

This is a photo of Turkish military family. He is a Lt.Col of Medical unit. He is a doctor. Two bars with two stars is LtCol. a snake around the cup that he bears on collar is the symbol of Turkish medicine units. It was same during Ottoman period and republican time. The officers had this kind of uniform during the years 1933-45.

According to the Turkish republican military rules the officers could only bear the medal of independance on their uniform. You can easly see the medal of Independance on his right breast.

cheers

Tesekur ederim. A doctor hey? I like the looks of his personal nurse.... Any idea why the Star is on that side? Is it common in Turkey?

Sorry no idea? I wonder he might put it wrong because his old and weary mind which was tired after long years of fighting at various battles, struct by the beauty of the prima donna or nurse by himself. Love made his eyes blind. Poor doc rest in peace. He was a Turkish hero.